Skip to main content

Student Frequently Asked Questions

What accessibility options are available in computer labs?

There are a variety of accessibility resources available in computer labs across campus. If you have any questions or problems please let us know. The Disability Resource Center will work with any student who might need additional accessibility software or hardware placed in a specific lab.

The Information Technology Computer Labs has general information all of the computer labs on campus, including on the Information Technology labs. More information about the accessibility of the labs is available below.

Labs with JAWS on Every Computer

The JAWS screen reader is available on every computer in each of the following labs on campus:

Labs with JAWS on Select Computers

  • Computer Science Computer Labs In the TAR Lab (ESLC 131) JAWS is installed on computers 24, 25, 32 and 33 (two computers on the back row on the left side of the room and two on the back row on the right). In the Old Main Lab (Old Main 229) JAWS in installed on computers 1-5 on the South end of the room.
  • Huntsman Computer Labs
    All of the computers in EBB 115 are running JAWS and the other two labs have at least 4 computers running JAWS that are available for use.

Disability Resource Center Computer Lab

The Disability Resource Center has Assistive Technology labs that include the following accessibility software:

In addition there are large monitors, video magnifiers, a transformer camera, and handheld video magnifiers.

Is using the Disability Resource Center confidential?

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is committed to ensuring that all information and communication pertaining to a student's disability is maintained as confidential as required or permitted by law. This information is protected be the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). DRC records are maintained in locked filing cabinets and secure electronic files. No person other than DRC staff has immediate access to these files.

In compliance with federal regulations, the DRC may share a limited amount of disability-related information with University personnel who demonstrate a legitimate need to know. Student transcripts and other University records will not indicate DRC participation.

A student has the right to review his/her own DRC file with reasonable notification. If a student wishes to have information about his/her disability shared with others, the student must provide written request/authorization to the DRC. Before giving such authorization, the student should understand the purpose of the release and to whom the information is being released.

What options are available to students attending classes online or at Statewide campuses?

The DRC coordinates services for any USU student at any Statewide campus. The application and accommodation process are the same for all students. All accommodations provided to on-campus students are available for online and regional campus students. Statewide campus students will interact with their DRC consultant by telephone and Email but whenever possible accommodation requests should be made via Aggie Access or email. Because of the challenges presented by distance, site coordinators may be involved in the provision of services. Specialized equipment can be made available at Statewide Campuses if needed, however, the DRC does not provide assistive technology for home use.

What documentation is required to receive DRC services?

See Documentation & Eligibility Guidelines for more information.