Skip to main content

Grievance Procedure

This Grievance Procedure may be used by any student who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of services, activities, programs, or benefits by Utah State University.

Students are encouraged to first discuss any concerns with their DRC consultant. She/he will be the person most knowledgeable about your situation and most concerns will be resolved at this level. If need be, DRC Director, David Pruden, will work with the student and consultant to resolve problems informally. If the issue is not sufficiency resolved, a formal complaint may be filed.

The complaint should be in writing and contain information about the alleged discrimination. It should be submitted as soon as possible but no later than 30 calendar days after the alleged violation to:

David Pruden
Disability Resource Center
University Inn #105

Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the complaint David will speak with the student to discuss the complaint and the possible resolutions. Within 7 calendar days of the meeting, David will respond in writing to explain the position of the DRC.

If the response by David does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, the complainant may appeal the decision within 15 calendar days after receipt of the response to:

Robert Wagner
Vice President of Academic and Instructional Services
Distance Education, Room 401

Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the appeal, he or his designee will speak with the student individually to resolve problems related to services and treatment. Within 7 calendar days he, Vice President Wagner, will respond in writing explaining the position of USU.

The Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Office, located in Room 161 of Old Main, (435) 797-1266 may also review formal or informal complaints of disability-related discrimination following the process outlined in Article VII, Section 4 of the USU Student Code.

Although students are encouraged to try to resolve grievances within the campus, you also have the right to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights at any time. Additional information can be found on the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 website. Additionally, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website also has more information.