Your Grant May Adjust During the Term

Please note that the policies below are still in effect during the Covid-19 Crisis. Appeals will always be considered for suspension of federal aid for extenuating circumstances, but repayments will still be required for circumstances indicated below.

Grants are disbursed according to your enrollment status. For example, a full-time student generally receives twice as much as a half-time student. Your grant is based on the credits that will appear on your transcript, which are the classes you currently are registered for on the last day to add classes which corresponds to the refund period of your term.

During the first three weeks of fall and spring semester:

  • Adding courses may result in the increase of your grant(s) depending on the number of credits you add.
  • Dropping courses may require immediate repayment of a portion of your grant(s) depending on the number of credits you drop.

Please note the following issues:

  • Grants may be applied to any open term classes added after the third week of the official fall or spring semester if this is your first time registering for that term.
  • Students who drop a class in a session before it begins will lose the grant for the class they dropped.
  • The option for verifying participation is not available during the refund period for that class or, where dropping a class will not result in a W grade on the transcript. Also, a student cannot document participation for classes that have not officially begun; for example, if you drop a second 7-week session course during the first seven weeks of the semester, you cannot document that you participated academically in that course.
  • Federal regulations allow students to receive aid for only one repeat of a previously passed class. This does not prevent you from taking a class as many times as you need.  However, when you register, Banner will disregard any such repeated classes when awarding and disbursing aid. More Information about repeated courses
  • Students who have received the equivalent of 12 or more full-time semesters of Federal Pell grant will no longer be eligible for federal grant funding (starting July 2012.) Some Federal Pell grant awards may be reduced or cancelled later on as we receive updates from the U.S. Department of Education.

Summer Exceptions:

There is an exception to this policy during summer term due to the multiple number of summer sessions and workshops. During summer term, Federal Pell grants will continue to increase or decrease based on enrollment until the last day to add of the student's final or latest session.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. What grants are affected?
All federal grants (Federal Pell, SEOG). Federal Pell grants usually require at least one credit to disburse.

Q. How much grant can I receive if I don't attend full-time?

  • The amount listed on your account is for 12 or more credits per semester
  • You can have 3/4 of that amount for 9-11 credits per semester (grants below $795 require 12 or more credits).
  • You can receive 1/2 of that amount for 6-8 credits per semester (grants below $1195 require 9 or more credits).
  • You can receive 1/4 of that amount for 1-5 credits per semester (grants below $2495 require 6 or more credits).

Please note that some grants do not have a less than full-time amount and will not pay if you are not registered for 12 eligible credits.

Q. If I drop classes during the first 20% of the term (refund period,) will I owe money back? 
Yes. If your enrollment status drops (for example, from full-time to three-quarter time) after we have disbursed your grant to you, some (or all) of your grant may be reduced. You will have to pay part (or all) of your grant back to USU. Please note if you drop classes before they officially start (for example: classes in the second 7-week session) you will also have have to pay part (or all) of your grant back. In some cases, a tuition refund may be enough to repay the grant.

Q. What happens if I drop a class that hasn't started yet. 
Some classes don't start until later in the semester. You cannot keep Federal Pell grant for a class that you dropped before it even started even if the semester is already in session.

Q. What happens if I add classes to make up for the ones I drop?
If you add classes to make up for the ones your drop, you may not have to repay the grant. 

Q. When will I have to pay the grant back?
Repayments will be due at the end of the term. You should see a charge on your MyUSU account. You may be prevented from registering, getting a transcript, or graduating until you repay.

Q. Will grants increase as well as decrease?
Yes. For example, if you start the semester at half-time and add enough credits during the 20% of the term to be full-time, your grant will increase to a full-time grant automatically. You should see the new amount on your account the following day.

Q. What if I add classes later in the semester.  
It depends. Grants may not pay for any classes added after the first three weeks of the term if you were already registered in other courses. If you are starting your classes later in the semester, you may be eligible for a late Pell grant disbursement.

Q. What if I withdraw from classes (W Grade) after the third week? 
If you withdraw from a class, your grant may be reduced at the end of term if we cannot determine that you that you started the course. If you document academic participation, the grant can be reinstated.* However, you will still receive a W for courses you drop after the last day to add and this may affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress and result in future ineligibility for aid.

*Please note: classes dropped during their refund period do not receive a W grade on a student's transcript and cannot be reinstated by documenting participation. Some classes don't start until later in the semester. You cannot keep Federal Pell grant for a class that you dropped before it started.

Q. What happens if I drop all of my classes?
Students who completely withdraw from the University during the course of a semester are required all of their financial aid if they cannot document participation in their courses. If they can document academic participation, they must still return a percentage of their Federal Student Financial Aid to USU . All types of Federal Financial Aid are included in the repayment, including: Federal Pell Grants, Supplemental Grants, Perkins Loans, and Direct Loans. Full policy