Frequently Asked Questions

Did you know? Most of your questions can be answered by visiting or calling the main Financial Aid office at (435)-797-0173


General Questions

Q. Am I being charged for transportation costs, housing, and personal expenses?

The “Cost of Attendance” section on your “Award Offer” page is an outline of estimated educational costs to help our office determine your financial need. These costs may not reflect your actual expenses. You may view your tuition, fees, bookstore charges (by arrangement), USU housing, and meal plan charges on your "TouchNet Payment System" on your MyUSU account—if they have already been assessed by the Registrar’s Office.

Q. Why did my grant adjust?

Grants pay according to the number of credits you are enrolled in. For example, a full-time student (12+ credits) generally receives twice as much as a half-time student. Grant adjustments will finalize on the last day to add/drop classes. More on adjustable grants.

Q. Can I change my marital status after I have already applied for federal financial aid?

If you apply before you marry, you may be able change your status during the school year. In most cases, married students are eligible for more aid than dependent students because they earn less than their parents. However, your eligibility for aid is still based on your and your spouse's income. Please note, if you are changing your name, you must also change your name with the Social Security Administration. Contact our office about the possibility of updating your marital status on FAFSA.

Q. Can I get aid for summer semester?

Students can sometimes receive additional or remaining grant and loan eligibility in summer. To apply for summer loans download the Summer Financial Aid Application and return it via email or fax. Or, you can contact our office by phone or email to see if you have any remaining eligiblity. More Information about summer aid.

Q. How do I get a tax return transcript or letter of non-filing from the IRS?

Students have several options for getting their tax information to USU for FAFSA verification.

Q. Why do I have a Financial Aid Counselor?

Your financial aid counselor is there to help you remove financial barriers to your education. It is their mission to help you feel confident with your financial choices and to work with your academic progam to help you graduate in a timely manner. You should also visit your counselor when a financial disruption arises so that they can advise you about your options.

Q. I am transferring to USU and have received financial aid at another college. Can I have my financial aid transferred to USU?

Financial aid cannot be directly transferred from one university to another. It must be canceled at the other school for the semester(s) you are not attending. The new school needs to be added to your FAFSA for the same academic year. Go to, make corrections to your existing FAFSA, and add USU to the "School Selection" tab of your application. USU’s school code is 003677. You do not need to delete the code for the school you are currently attending. After submitting your FAFSA application, the financial aid office at the school you are transferring to will receive your application and begin processing.  Your new school will contact you if you need to submit additional information to process your aid. Please note, you cannot receive a Federal Pell Grant from two different schools for overlapping periods.

Q. How do I sign a Master Promissory Note for Direct Loans?

  1. Go to
  2. Click on the "SIGN IN" button.
  3. Login and submit.
  4. Click on "Complete Aid Process."
  5. Click on “Complete Master Promissory Note" (step four).
  6. Click on the start button for the type of Promissory Note you need to complete.
  7. The site will walk you through the rest of the steps.

Financial Aid & Tuition Payment

Q. How will my aid pay my charges?

When you register, financial aid will show up on your account. Scholarships, grants, and loans should show as memo'd amounts or authorized amounts. Even though your aid is virtual and not available in cash, it is counted as payment for your classes. As long as your financial aid is sufficient to cover your charges, you will not lose your classes on the undergraduate nonpayment drop date. After all your charges are paid, checks for remaining funds will be mailed to the mailing address you have on your USU profile (or deposited in your bank account if you have signed up for direct deposit) and will usually arrive around the first day of the semester. After you register for classes, you can look at your charges and check to be sure all your aid has been applied by logging into "My Financial Information" on MyUSU. Warning: Year-long independent study classes do not qualify for financial aid.

Q. When will I get my leftover financial aid money?

During the semester, any leftover money is generally sent to you 3-5 business days after you accept your aid and complete any additional steps such as loan counseling, signing the MPN, etc. If you accepted your aid a few weeks before the beginning of the term and completed any additional steps, remaining funds are sent around the first day of the semester.

Q. How will I get my leftover financial aid money?

Financial Aid funds are first applied to your USU charges--as long as you are otherwise eligible and have completed all additional steps such as online loan counseling, signing a Master Promissory Note, etc. Any leftover funds are mailed to the mailing address you have on your USU profile. Or, you can add a bank account in the "General Links" section of your Financial Aid (FAFSA) Menu to have your leftover funds deposited directly into your checking account.

Financial Aid Terms & Conditions

Q. Why is financial aid not paying for all of my classes?

Federal regulations allow students to receive aid for only one additional repeat of a previously passed class. When you register, our automated system will disregard any such repeated classes when disbursing aid. However, this restriction does not prevent you from enrolling in a class as many times as you need. More information on repeated courses.

Q. How do I make sure I don't lose my financial aid?

To keep your aid, you must meet the Institution GPA and credit requirements. Review USU Financial Aid's updated Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Financial Aid Communications

Q. How can I tell whether to trust an email from the Financial Aid Office?

Emails from our office will come from these addresses:
Our emails will include our contact information at the bottom and may also list your name and A-number at the top.

Q. When will I hear from USU about my financial aid?

We send out Financial Aid Offer Notifications and/or other instructions to fully admitted students by email generally one week after FAFSA submission. Like most financial and business institutions, we use email to communicate with our students. Financial Aid Offer Notifications for the next award year will be sent out early spring before the new academic year begins.

Q. What information does the Financial Aid Office need when I call or email the office?

To protect your right to privacy, we use your A-Number and SecurityPhrase to verify your identity when you call us. Please take a moment to create your SecurityPhrase. Because email isn't secure, we can only answer general questions by email. Do not include your SecurityPhrase in your email message.

Q. Why do I get emails telling me I have been offered aid? I was offered aid months ago.

Sometimes updates to your aid are made during the school year and we are required to inform you of these changes.

Financial Aid Issues

Q. What happens to my financial aid if I drop a class after the last day to add?

If you are on financial aid warning or probation, withdrawing from a class may result in suspension of financial aid for the next semester. Please check with the financial aid office if you are on warning or probation.

In all cases, withdrawing from classes will affect your academic progress, and you will receive a W "grade" on your transcript. Getting too many W’s on your transcript could result in a financial aid warning or suspension depending on your financial aid status. 

If you withdraw from or fail all of your classes this semester, you may be required to repay some of your financial aid. More information here.

Q. I need to stop attending this term, what do I do about my financial aid?

Dropping courses may be in your overall best interest. However, we recommend consulting with your Financial Aid Counselor before dropping all of your classes to see how dropping will affect your aid. To officially drop all of your classes this term, visit to get started with filling out a Leave of Absence form. Our office will be informed of your Leave of Absence to determine how much financial aid you need to return. We will then notify you by mail if financial aid must be returned.

If you have a Federal Pell grants, you may need to document that you participated academically in your classes. This may reduce how much money has to be returned. If you have federal loans, please note that dropping below half-time enrollment (6 credits) may cause older loans to come due immediately. Withdrawing from classes will also affect your satisfactory academic progress towards graduation. Your Financial Aid Counselor will be able to tell you exactly how dropping courses will affect your Pace, loan repayment timeframe, and how to provide proof of participation (if needed).

Q. Will my Warning/Probation/Suspension status affect my award for next semester?

You can still have your financial aid this term if you receive a warning notice. However next semester's financial aid is on hold until final grades are posted for this semester. If you receive a suspension notice, then you are not eligible for financial aid, including loans, for this and subsequent semesters. If you have extenuating circumstances that resulted in your financial aid suspension, you may submit a financial aid appeal to received financial aid on probation (if the appeal is approved.) To start the appeals process, please contact our office.

Beyond Financial Aid

Q. Should I pay for financial aid and scholarship guidance?

No! Beware of any service that offers financial advice or assistance after you pay a fee. We are happy to assist you with any questions for free! There are also many free scholarship services online.

Q. Do I have to report scholarships and grants on my taxes?

In general, you must report any amount of scholarships and grants that exceed tuition, fees, and course-related expenses required to enroll at or attend an educational institution. Course-related expenses can include books, supplies, and equipment that are required of all students for courses at the educational institution. Please review IRS Publication 970 - (Tax Benefits for Education) for more information about your situation.

Q. Is there an office that handles scholarships?

Yes. Financial Aid staff have general knowledge about scholarships, but more specific account questions should be directed to the USU Scholarships Office. For questions about applying for Admissions/Transfer/Merit (index table) scholarships, please contact the Admissions Office.

Q. Why has my ID card stopped working at the computer labs, library, games, etc.?

Student ID cards only work if your balance at USU is paid in full. You may still owe tuition, fees, or have been assessed a late fee. Please check your account on MyUSU to see if you owe anything for the current semester or previous semesters. You will need to pay the balance as soon as possible in order to access services at USU.

Q. Who handles third-party billing/payments?

USU Bursar's Office: (435) 797-1537.

Q. Who handles Perkins Loans Servicing Issues?

Justin Gereau (, 435-797-1057) in the Bursar's Office.

Other Frequently Asked Questions