Fulbright U.S. Student and Scholar Program
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships abroad for one academic year to graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, scientists, and artists. Program participants pursue graduate or professional study, advanced research, or English teaching in elementary and secondary schools or universities.
- Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application (permanent residents are not eligible).
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant.
More information on eligibility requirements is available for review.
How to Apply
Graduating seniors, recent graduates, and Master's and doctoral candidates are eligible to apply through Utah State University.
All other candidates should apply as At-Large applicants.
Utah State University Applications for 2021-2022
Please review the Fulbright application process to get started on your application.
- Provide your initial drafts of the statement of grant purpose and personal statement by July 31, 2020 for initial review.
- Applications and supporting documents must be submitted via the Online Application system on or before September 9, 2020.
- If you need assistance, contact the Office of Global Engagement or schedule an appointment with a Fulbright Program Adviser at 435-797-1124.
- After your application is submitted, a faculty committee will review application materials and conduct a 30-minute interview with each applicant. (The committee comprises faculty representatives from the eight academic colleges and the Library.)
- Constructive feedback will be provided to each applicant prior to the final submission deadline.
USU Fulbright Advisory Committee Members
|Agriculture & Applied Sciences||Astrid Jacobsonemail@example.com|
|Caine College of the Arts||Chris Terryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Education & Human Services||Troy Beckertemail@example.com|
|Humanities & Social Sciences||Karin deJonge-Kannanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Natural Resources||Eugene Schuppemail@example.com|
USU Fulbright History
Utah State University (USU) has a rich history of global engagement with a focus on bridging geographic and cultural boundaries through international programs, exchanges and studies abroad. Many USU students, faculty, and staff have received Fulbright Student and Scholar awards, making a difference globally.
- USU Fulbright Student Awards: 24 since 1951
- USU Fulbright Scholars: 23 from 2010 to 2019
Thursday, February 6, 2020 in Merrill-Cazier Library 154
- 3:00 – 4:00 Fulbright U.S. Student Program
- 4:00 – 5:00 Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program
Awards and Grants
Types of Awards
Open Study/Research Awards
English Teaching Assistant Awards
The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant programs place grantees in schools overseas to supplement local English language instruction and to provide a native speaker presence in the classrooms. View the countries offering English Teaching Assistant Awards.
Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship
The Fulbright–National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship provides a unique platform for American Fulbright students to develop global narratives and discuss commonalities across borders around a common issue or theme. Trained, supported, and mentored by National Geographic Editors during their grants in one or multiple countries, Fellows will use new media platforms to help build ties across cultures while enhancing mutual understanding. The digital content that they produce will be featured online in various places, including, most prominently, a blog hosted by National Geographic.
Critical Language Enhancement Award
The Fulbright Critical Language Enhancement Award: Candidates for the Fulbright U.S. student program in selected regions may apply to receive up to six months of additional intensive language training in eligible critical languages. The application for the Fulbright Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) is made in conjunction with the Fulbright U.S. Student application.
Please review the Types of Awards offered for more information.
Fulbright Grants for Research/Study and Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships Provide:
- Round-trip transportation to the host country
- Maintenance for the academic year, based on living costs in the host country
- Book and research allowances
- Healthcare coverage
- Mid-term enrichment activities in many countries or world regions
- Full or partial tuition, in some cases
- Language or orientation programs, in some cases