Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My boss asked two other colleagues in our office to go with her to a conference; she drove. We didn't get back until 8:00 pm. Don't we get compensated for those three hours of overtime?
Rate This FAQ
Submit Your Suggestion
The FLSA states that if the employee is not performing work for the benefit of the employer, the time outside of the employee's regular working hours is not compensable.
EXAMPLES OF TRAVEL SITUATIONS
- Priyanka and Cha drive to a conference in Provo.
- They leave Logan at 8:00 am; their regular work starting time.
- They leave the conference in Provo at 5:00 pm.
- Priyanka drives back to Logan and will be compensated for the driving time.
- Cha will not necessarily be compensated for the time after 5:00 pm, because the Department of Labor Fair Labor Standard's Act (FLSA) states that travel outside of work is not compensable when the employee is a passenger and free to relax.
- Jack and Joe are flying to a conference.
- On the plane, Joe (a non-exempt employee) works on his laptop preparing Jack's speech.
- This time is compensable because Joe is not relaxing, but doing work.
- After the conference, Jack goes out to a nightclub until 1:00 am.
- Joe returns to his room after the conference and watches TV.
- Neither man is entitled to pay for his after-conference activities because those activities did not involve work for USU.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I had to work on Thanksgiving. Don't I get overtime for that day?
- Who can be compensated for overtime?
- It is difficult to get to work on time when I have to take my kids to school. Can I work a flexible schedule?
- Why do I have to sign my time card every two weeks?
- I worked more than 40 hours in a week, but my boss told me to move those hours to next week. Is that legal?
- Can I eat my lunch at my desk?
- How much is the overtime compensation?
- If my shift doesn't begin until 7:00 am, and my boss wants me to come in at 6:00 am and work until the regular quitting time, do I have to come in early?
In This Section
- Banner Self-Serve
- New Employees Benefits
- Employee Exit/Transfer Process
- Employee Relations
- HR Banner
- Staff Directory
- Training and Professional Development
- Wellness Program
- Contact Us
- Tuition Reduction