FERPA for Faculty and Staff
FERPA Training Requirement
All university employees who have access to student records are required to complete FERPA training every three (3) years. Completion of the tutorial is recorded in Banner and available for administrators to ensure their staff is up-to-date on their training.
FERPA Tutorial for Faculty and Staff
The FERPA tutorial can be accessed online by University personnel using the link below. This is an audio/video presentation with optional closed-captioning.
FERPA Tutorial w/ Audio (ILS Training Site)
This law, commonly referred to as FERPA or the Buckley Amendment, (1) provides that students will have access to inspect and review their educational records and (2) protects the rights of a student to privacy by limiting access to the educational record without express written consent.
A student is defined as any individual who is attending or has attended Utah State University. (Note: Certain rights are extended to the parent(s) of a dependent student, where dependency is defined by Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.)
An educational record is any record (1) directly related to a student, and (2) maintained by Utah State University or by an agent of the University.
With respect to a student's educational records, FERPA affords a student the right:
- To inspect and review the student's educational records;
- To request the amendment of the student's educational records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights;
- To consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent;
- If a complaint cannot be resolved within the University, to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by Utah State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA;
- The Student Records Policy and Procedures for Utah State University is available in the General Catalog.