Confidential Support and Advocacy
SAAVI provides safe and confidential (section II-3-B-III for definition of confidentiality) counseling for survivors of sexual assault and violence. Our services are open to ALL USU students, staff and faculty. A survivor's role is to heal from their experience, and a SAAVI advocate can help remove barriers to healing. All professional advocates go through a 40-hour training that covers the effects of interpersonal violence, trauma-informed response, and how to help survivors utilize resources. In addition, SAAVI advocates go through a 24-hour training that covers information specific to USU, as well as an LGBTQA+ training.
What Advocacy Is
What Advocacy Is Not
- Trauma-informed support and counseling on interpersonal violence.
- Help understanding the Title IX reporting and investigation process and help reporting if that option is chosen.
- Assistance making a crime report to USU or local police.
- Assistance and support through a sexual assault forensic exam.
- Counseling on safety planning and available options: protective orders, stalking injunctions, and no-contact orders (on campus).
- Referrals for on- and off-campus resources, such as therapy.
- Information about USU's Amnesty Policy, which excuses a student who seeks medical attention or reports an incident of sexual misconduct from disciplinary action associated with a student code violation.
- Assistance getting accomodations through the Title IX Coordinator.
- Test retakes
- Deadline extensions
- Excused absences
- Class schedule changes
- Financial aid appeals or emergency funding
- Changes to on-campus housing situation or work schedules
On-Campus Advocacy at SAAVI
Free service available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Taggart Student Center, Rm. 311 (walk-ins are welcome)
After hours this phone forwards to Citizens Against Physical & Sexual Abuse.
Off-Campus Advocacy in Logan
Citizens Against Physical and Sexual Abuse
24-hour crisis line: 435-753-2500
CAPSA staff, advocates, and volunteers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year (including holidays) on the crisis line to listen, talk, and help during a crisis. All calls are completely confidential.
National Sexual Assault 24/7 Hotline RAINN
Free, confidential support for survivors of sexual assault through online chat and by phone.