USU Men's Tennis Opens Season with Two Home Wins
Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019
Utah State men's tennis opened its 2019 campaign Sunday, Jan. 13, sweeping a home doubleheader with a 7-0 win against Weber State and a 6-1 win victory over Idaho State.
With the win over Weber State, Utah State won its fifth-straight season opener.
"There were a lot of positives and a lot of things for us to work on. First matches are always a little bit shaky in some regards," said USU head coach James Wilson. "We got to see our guys see some real competition and it gives us a lot of things that we need to get better at. I was pleased with the results, but know we have to get a lot better."
The day started off well for the Aggies, as they took the doubles point against the Wildcats. While freshman Isaac Arturo Arevalo and sophomore Jose Carvajal dropped their match on court one, play on courts and two and three secured the win. Junior Sergiu Bucur and freshman Rithvik Bollipalli defeated Paul Ohde and Cezary Walkusz, 6-2, while sophomore Felipe Acosta and junior Duro Opacic picked up a tight victory over Nick Werner and Bo-han Li, 7-6 (7-5).
The momentum of doubles carried over into singles play, as the first four Aggies on the courts won their first sets. All four of the first singles matches ended in straight sets. Acosta picked up the first win, defeating Ohde, 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot, and Bucur followed with a pair of 6-1 victories over Junhaou Ye in the No. 2 position. Opacic and Arevalo finished within moments of each other, defeating Van Schoor (6-1, 7-5) and Van Wyk (6-3, 6-1) in the No. 3 and No. 1 spots, respectively. With the win clinched, the teams agreed to play out the remaining matches, where No. 5 Carvajal topped Werner (6-2, 6-2) and No. 6 Bollipalli defated Li, 6-2, 6-4.
After a short break, the Aggies returned to the court with a hot start against the Bengals. On court one, Arevalo and Cavajal made quick work of Idaho State's Peter Thrac and David Felix with a 6-1 win. Opacic and Bollipalli followed with a 6-4 victory over Flynn Lohse and Francis Filipovich at the No. 3 spot. Prior to the match, the teams agreed to play to clinch, leaving the No. 2 doubles match unfinished.
Acosta was again the first singles player to finish his match, defeating Filipovich, in a pair of 6-1 sets at the No. 4 spot. Arevalo then defeated Felix in the No. 1 position, 6-4, 6-4, while Carvajal swept Gary Rendek in the No. 5 spot, 6-0, 6-0 to clinch the match. With all other singles matches already underway, the teams agreed to keep play going, despite USU already earning the win. In the first match to go three sets, Opacic defeated Lukas Ridemar (6-4, 2-6, 6-3) on court three, while Bucur came back from a first-set loss to top Thrac at the No. 2 position (0-6, 6-2, 6-2). The match wrapped up in the No. 6 spot, where Bollipalli fell to Lohse in two 3-6 sets.
Next weekend, the Aggies head to Southern California for a pair of dual matches. Utah State will play at San Diego on Saturday, Jan. 19, at 2 p.m. (MT) and at UC Irvine on Sunday, Jan. 20, at noon.
Fans can follow USU's men's tennis team on Twitter @USUMensTennis, on Facebook at UtahStateMensTennis or on Instagram at USUTennis. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program on Twitter at @USUAthletics, on Facebook at Utah State University Athletics or on Instagram at @USUAthletics.
Utah State 7, Weber State 0
1. Kris Van Wyk/Michiel Van School (WSU) def. Isaac Arturo Arevalo/Jose Carvajal (USU) 6-4
2. Sergiu Bucur/Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) def. Paul Ohde/Cezary Walkusz (WSU) 6-2
3. Felipe Acosta/Duro Opacic (USU) def. Nick Werner/Bo-han Li (WSU) 7-6 (7-5)
1. Isaac Arturo Arevalo (USU) def. Kris Van Wyk (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Sergiu Bucur (USU) def. Junhao Ye (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Duro Opacic (USU) def. Michiel Van Schoor (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Paul Ohde (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Nick Werner (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) def. Bo-han Li (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
Utah State 6, Idaho State 1
1. Isaac Arturo Arevalo/Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Peter Thrac/David Felix (ISU) 6-1
2. Sergiu Bucur/Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) vs. Lukas Ridemar/Gary Rendek (ISU) Unfinished
3. Duro Opacic/Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Fynn Lohse/Francis Filipovich (ISU) 6-4
1. Isaac Arturo Arevalo (USU) def. David Felix (ISU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sergiu Bucur (USU) def. Peter Thrac (ISU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Duro Opacic (USU) def. Lukas Ridemar (ISU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
4. Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Francis Filipovich (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Gary Rendek (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Fynn Lohse (ISU) def. Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) 6-3, 6-3