Give the gift of education, one plate at a time
If you live in Utah, there is no better way to show your affiliation with Utah State University than with an A-plate. Order your Utah State University collegiate license plate, online, at any Utah Department of Motor Vehicles location, or by mail.
A-plates around Utah do more than share Aggie pride. For an annual contribution of only $35 (one-time new plate fees apply), you can be an A-plate holder and make a lasting impact on the lives of our students. Every A-plate on the road makes it possible for the Alumni Association to award scholarships each year to deserving students. In fact, A-plate owners across the state have helped raise more than $2.75 million in scholarship support so far! Show your Aggie pride and make a difference. Get your A-plate today!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get the A-Plate?
- Online: Utah State University DMV.
- Mail: Make your gift and purchase your plates with one check, payable to the Utah State Tax Commission. The state will forward your gift to the University and mail your plates and state tags to your home within two weeks. Complete this printable application form and mail it to the address provided.
- At the DMV: Complete the required forms, make your gift via cash/check/credit card, and get your A-plate on the spot.
When I get an A-plate, do I keep the same alphanumeric characters from my existing plate?
No. You do not keep the same alphanumeric characters on your existing plate. Regardless of whether you are purchasing the A-plate for the first time or are replacing it, you will be issued a new set of alphanumeric characters. Personalized plates are the only exception
How much does the A-Plate cost?
- If you are getting an A-plate for the first time: The annual contribution of $35 to the scholarship fund, plus a one-time special plate fee of $17 and $4 for shipping (if ordered by mail), amounts to $56 for the first year ($52 in person). After the first year, you make the annual contribution of $35 when you renew your vehicle registration.
- If you have the old A-plate and want to replace it with the new one: It's a $17 plate replacement fee, plus $4 for shipping (if ordered by mail), for a total of $21 ($17 in person). Your annual contribution of $35 will be made when you renew your vehicle registration.
What if I want to personalize my A-plate?
- You can order personalized plates with up to five alphanumeric characters in a combination that has not already been assigned by submitting Form TC-817 with the required personalization fee. To see if your personalization is available, go to Utah’s motor vehicle portal. Form TC-817 may also be completed in person at the DMV.
- Additional personalization fees apply: In addition to the annual contribution of $35 to the scholarship fund, there is a one-time personalized plate fee, plus special plate fee, and $4 (if ordered by mail) for the first year.
How do I renew my A-plate?
After the first year, you make the annual contribution of $35 to the scholarship fund when you renew your vehicle registration. Your gift is added to the total amount shown on your state vehicle registration materials. You can also make your gift and renew your vehicle registration in person at the DMV.
When I purchase or replace the A-plate, does it change my renewal/expiration dates?
No. You retain your existing expiration and renewal dates.
What if I already have a personalized A-plate and I want to use the slogan on a new A-plate?
It's a $17 plate replacement fee, plus $4 (if ordered by mail) for a total of $21 ($17 in person).
How long does it take to get the A-plate in the mail?
- If it is a new A-Plate, up to two weeks.
- If it is a personalized A-Plate, up to three weeks.