Utah State University (USU) values your privacy and is committed to maintaining your trust. Therefore, we provide this Privacy Notice explaining our online information practices. This Privacy Notice describes how USU may collect, use, and share information you directly and indirectly provide when using USU websites or USU-published mobile applications.
This Policy Notice does not cover the practices of our third-party partners (e.g., vendors), nor does it apply to Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that we collect from or about our employees, vendors, consultants, or contractors. Additionally, some USU websites may deviate from this notice. In these cases, we encourage you to read page-specific notices to ensure you understand the applicable privacy policies and practices.
By using USU websites or USU-published mobile applications, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of this Privacy Notice and to our processing of personal information for the purposes stated below. If you do not agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Privacy Statements, please do not use the site or the mobile applications.
What Information We Collect
USU collects personal information about you when you voluntarily provide it. Other services may require additional information through an account in order to access certain features; an account, created for you to authenticate into a system or service, includes personal information identifying you for the sake of the service.
"Personal information" is any information that can be used to identify you or that may be linked to you. This information is commonly limited to the information found in a public directory, such as first name, last name, postal address, email address, and phone number.
As do most websites, USU web servers automatically collect the following information about your device:
- The public Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device through which you access USU websites.
- The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the website from which a device reaches a USU website (called a referrer), typically by following a link.
- The webpages requested from the USU websites.
- The Date and Time of Access.
- The Operating System of the device through which you access USU websites.
- The Browser Type and Version, the Monitor Screen Size and Color Depth and other plugin and program information as sent by your browser.
- Similar data and information that may be used in the event of attacks on our information technology (IT) systems
When using this general information, USU does not draw any conclusions about you. Rather, this information is needed to (1) deliver the content of our websites correctly, (2) optimize the content of our websites, (3) ensure the long-term viability of our information technology systems and website technology, and (4) provide law enforcement authorities with the information necessary for criminal prosecution in case of a cyber-attack.
When you install mobile applications with the publisher name “Utah State University” from the Google Play store and Apple’s App Store, the application may ask for permission to use or access:
- GPS services
- Contacts (store or retrieve a contact)
- Calendar (store or set events)
- External storage (images, save downloads, etc.)
The general information described above may be aggregated with the general information of all site visitors to identify how our websites or applications are used and to improve the application content and structure. In turn, we may share this aggregate information about our site with partners or the general public. For example, we may share information regarding the daily number of unique visitors to our site or mobile applications with USU administration or potential partners. Aggregate data does not contain any information that could be used to contact or identify you.
Cookies and Tracking
Please note that we do not currently respond to web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that may allow you to opt out of the collection of information across networks of websites and online services as there is no standard for how online services should respond to such signals. As standards develop, we may develop policies for responding to do-not-track signals that we will describe in this Privacy Notice.
USU may receive information about you from other sources, including third parties that help us update, expand, and analyze our records, identify new customers, or prevent or detect fraud. USU may also receive information about you from social media platforms, including but not limited to, when you access our social media content or interact with us on these platforms. The information we may receive is governed by the privacy settings, policies, and/or procedures of the applicable social media platform; therefore, we encourage you to review them.
USU does not believe our websites are appealing to children, nor are they directed to children under 13. USU does not knowingly collect personally identifiable data from persons under the age of 13, and strives to comply with the provisions of COPPA (The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). If you are a parent of a child under 13, and you believe that your child has provided us with information about him or herself, please contact us at privacy@USU.edu.
How We Use Collected Information
USU may use the information we collect:
- To respond to your inquiries
- To provide services or materials you request
- To operate and understand how services are utilized
- To maintain our contact list
- To provide business services for which the information is intended
- To assess the effectiveness of our events, campaigns, and publications
- For information processing that is reasonably appropriate or necessary within our legal obligations
As a responsible organization, we do not use automatic decision-making or profiling. Moreover, your personal information will not be used in ways unrelated to the ones described without a clear notice and without providing an opportunity to opt-out or otherwise prohibit unrelated uses.
How We Share Collected Information
USU may share collected information with third parties and other University parties for legitimate business purposes without your consent, including but not limited to, the following reasons or in the following circumstances:
- As necessary to complete a transaction for you.
- To vendors or third-parties who deliver or provide goods and services or otherwise act on behalf of or at the direction of USU, such as exam testing agencies and partners, product-fulfillment companies, third-party event hosts, other third parties who may provide services on websites that are accessible from links on one of our sites, and credit card companies processing payment;
- To USU administration;
- To investigate potentially fraudulent or questionable activities;
- To cooperate with law enforcement or in response to a government or regulatory request, including if specifically requested or required, as otherwise permitted by law, and for other valid USU business purposes.
- Required by law or by an order of a court, regulatory bodies, or governmental authority.
- As we deem necessary to protect the rights, safety, or property of Utah State University.
USU also may use your profile information on an aggregate basis – without personal identifiers – to provide the University administration and third parties with information, such as developing new features and content for the sites, and providing sponsors and others with aggregate information about our users and the usage patterns of the sites.
How We Protect Collected Information
USU uses reasonable measures to safeguard personal information collected on its sites depending on its sensitivity. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have suitable physical, technical, and managerial controls and procedures to safeguard the information we collect online. Our measures follow applicable laws regarding the safeguarding of information under our control. However, no information system can be 100 percent secure.
USU is not responsible for the security of information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet, email systems, and wireless networks. Moreover, you are responsible for protecting your username and password and for selecting strong passwords.
We retain the information we collect online no longer than as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect the information and to comply with our legal obligations.
How to Contact USU
Subject to local law, you may have certain rights regarding information that we have collected and that is related to you. We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if you believe that any information that we have collected about you is inaccurate.
To help us keep your personal information up-to-date or if you no longer wish to receive communications from us, please login to the USU website that collected your data and update your information. For general inquiries, please contact Utah State University for further information.
Privacy Notice Changes
USU may update this Privacy Notice as the need arises, so we encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Notice. If we make any material changes in the way we collect, use, and/or share the personal information that you have provided, we will post notice of the changes in a clear and conspicuous manner on the USU websites.
The Privacy Notice is effective as of 25 May 2018. The Privacy Notice was last modified on 24 May 2018.
For questions concerning this Privacy Notice, please contact the Data Governance Office at 435.797.2558, or email us at email@example.com.