The Financial Aid Office can help make a degree financially possible for every qualified USU student. However, federal financial aid is just one part of a payment strategy that should include money saved by the family and student for attending school as well as scholarships and waivers. Grants, student loans, parent loans, and work-study funds are offered to students who qualify to help increase access to higher education. All the information you need for applying for federal aid can be found here.
About USU Financial Aid
- Step-by-step guide to apply for financial aid.
- How to Create Your FSA ID - video tutorial
- A guide to the types of federal financial aid available at USU
- 7 Things You Need Before You Fill Out the 2019-20 FAFSA
- 2019-20 FAFSA: Full Walkthrough (video tutorial)
- 2018-19 FAFSA: Full Walkthrough (video tutorial)
- FAFSA: Fears, Myths, and Urban Legends - StepUp
- FAFSA: IRS Data Retrieval Tips and Tricks - StepUp
Checking On Your Financial Aid Application
- We send out financial aid offers or other instructions to fully admitted students by email generally one week after FAFSA submission.
- More information about your status can be reviewed on MyUSU - after you log in, click on the Banner button, click on the "Financial Aid (FAFSA) Menu" and click on the "To-Do List."
- Financial aid is accepted through the MyUSU website. Students should first review the Terms and Conditions of financial aid to know their responsibilities when accepting financial aid.
Your Right to Privacy
To protect your right to privacy, we use your SecurityPhrase to verify your identity when you call us. Please take a moment to create your SecurityPhrase. Because email isn't secure, we can only answer general questions by email.
Financial Aid News
Spring 2019 Deadines
- Wed, Dec 12: Tuition and Fee payment deadline - Any difference between accepted financial aid and spring charges must be paid by this date to avoid losing your courses
- Mon, Jan 14: USU Eastern Tuition and Fee payment deadline - Any difference between accepted financial aid and spring charges must be paid by this to avoid losing your courses
- Jan 7 - Jan 28: Grants will increase or decrease based on enrollment
- Wed, Jan 23: Last day to submit an academic progress appeal for spring 2019 federal aid
- Mon, Jan 28: Last day to register for courses in spring term and still receive grants, if otherwise eligible - Any courses registered after this date do not qualify for an increase in grants
Fall 2018 Deadlines
- Fri, Dec 7: Last day for a professional judgment appeal to be received in the financial aid office
- Fri, Dec 7: Last day to request a Parent PLUS loan from studentloans.gov (You must be otherwise eligible for federal aid)
- Wed, Dec 12: Last day to submit your 2018-19 FAFSA if you are not attending spring 2019 semester and are eligible for a Federal Pell grant.
If you are selected for verification, all verification tasks must be submitted by April 1, 2019.
- Thurs, Dec 13: Last day to accept Direct loans for students only attending fall semester (You must have been awarded before this date!)
Keep your email address up to date on MyUSU
Financial Aid Comes with Strings Attached
Federal Pell Grant - For a Limited Time Only
Direct Subsidized Loans Also Have Limits
Why Form 1098-T Is Important to You
Student Loan Servicing
Financial Aid & Academic Participation
Federal Perkins Loan Servicing
USU's Federal Perkins Loans are now being serviced by UNISA instead of ACS:
Phone: (800) 875-8910