Summer Financial Aid

Summer semester is a great time to catch up on required coursework, work on electives, or get ahead in your program. Federal regulations allow Pell Grants to be available year-round for eligible students. Students can also borrow any remaining student loan eligibility leftover from the previous fall and spring semesters. Here's what you need to know about summer financial aid at USU:

Dropping/withdrawing from summer courses while receiving financial aid:

Summer Aid FAQ:

Q. My FAFSA says I’m eligible for a Pell Grant.  Can I get a Federal Pell Grant this summer?

Most students who are eligible for Federal Pell Grant on their FAFSA can also receive a Federal Pell Grant in the summer. See the above information for more details.

Q. Do I have to do anything to receive a Summer Pell Grant?

Not necessarily. You should automatically receive any Federal Pell Grant you are eligible for. You just need to ensure you enroll in summer classes to receive the accepted grant. If you want to use next year’s FAFSA eligibility instead of this year’s, please contact our office for more information.

Q. I found another summer class. Will my Federal Pell Grant cover it?

Maybe. During the summer semester, USU Financial Aid has several deadlines to prevent grants from adjusting up and down the entire semester. We use your final “last day to add or drop classes” registration date to determine your grant deadline. However, adding or dropping classes may extend your grant deadlines. Please contact our office for more information. 

Q. How do I apply for summer loans?

The summer loan application is made available on our website or in our office on or after March 1 each year. If you have any remaining yearly loan eligibility, you may apply for summer loan funding.

Q. I do not have any loan eligibility left for summer. What are other options for helping to pay for my summer classes?

Q. I would like to apply for Federal Work-Study (FWS) for summer. What do I need to do?

If you are enrolling for classes, please submit the summer application and request FWS by submitting a request or by emailing us at

If you are not enrolling for summer classes, federal regulations require some extra steps:

Please contact us at if you have any other questions.