About USU Concurrent Enrollment

The Utah System of Higher Education first adopted a rule regarding Concurrent Enrollment (CE) in 1988. In 1991 the Utah Legislature passed SB 196, the Minimum School Program Act Amendment that provided state funding, and Concurrent Enrollment became funded in fiscal year 1992. The state-wide concurrent enrollment program has been supported by legislative appropriation since 1995-96.

Concurrent Enrollment (CE) is now a state subsidized program wherein a student registers for a course both at the high school and through USU's website and upon completing the course successfully, receives both high school and college credit. The high school credit appears on the high school transcript and the college credit appears on the USU transcript. Public high school students who are counted in the average daily membership of their school and who have not graduated from high school may participate in Concurrent Enrollment (CE). Because CE courses are more rigorous than regular high school courses and because taking a CE course results in a permanent grade on a college transcript with future Financial Aid implications for the student, USU recommends high school juniors and seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher take CE courses but does not recommend 9th and 10th grade students take CE courses. 

What is the difference between Concurrent Enrollment and Advanced Placement?

Difference Advanced Placement (AP) Concurrent Enrollment (CE)
Cost $96 per AP test $50 one-time admission fee, plus $15-$20 per class ($5 per credit)
Pass Rate 60% earn a score of 3 or higher. Students earn college credit by passing the AP test. 95% earn a passing grade. Students earn college credit by passing the course.
Time Commitment For most AP courses, one full year is required. For most CE courses, one semester or trimester is required.
Teacher Qualifications AP instructors must meet requirements established by the College Board. CE instructors must possess the academic and industry credentials required by USU academic departments for adjunct faculty.
Transfer Accepted at most out-of-state public and private schools. (Check with specific institutions for course transferability.) Accepted at all Utah public schools and most public out-of-state schools. (Check with specific institutions for course transferability.)
Rigor Both AP and CE are designed to award college credit for similar classes.
Sources: College Board AP Score Distributions 2021, USHE/USBE Concurrent Enrollment Summary Data December 2021.

How does it work?

Students are admitted at both the high school and at USU. The application fee for USU is $50; this application fee is only paid once.

Students register each semester or trimester at both the high school and at USU. Each course costs $5/credit and this amount is paid directly to USU; textbooks and course materials are extra.

Face to Face courses are taught at the high school by high school paid instructors who are qualified to teach the course for both high school and Utah State University credit. 

Broadcast Courses

Broadcast courses are taught by USU paid instructors teaching from a USU location and broadcast to high schools across the state. Because of this these broadcast courses do not follow any particular high school's bell schedule. High school administrators who have students taking broadcast courses must understand that students may need to leave their other courses early or arrive late in order to participate in USU's broadcast courses. Only high schools who can help accommodate their students in doing this should participate in broadcast courses. With the exception of STAT 1040, USU's statewide broadcast courses are taught 4 days a week for 12 weeks (a trimester schedule).

After the course is completed, the broadcast instructor enters the final grade in the university database (Banner). This grade is then reflected on the Utah State University transcript. The high school registrar must enter the same grade on the high school transcript.

All Utah public universities and colleges accept the concurrent enrollment credit.

Who can teach a CE course?
Either a high school or USU paid instructor who meets USU's qualifications - generally a Master's degree in the subject matter.

When are CE courses offered?
CE courses are offered during the regular high school day.

Where are CE courses offered?
CE courses are most often offered either face to face at the high school or via Interactive Video Conferencing (IVC) received at the high school.

What are General Education Credits?

General Education (or Gen Ed for short) is required curriculum that makes up the foundation of an undergraduate degree. The courses teach students how to communicate effectively, utilize quantitative methods, make appropriate use of technology, function effectively in groups, and introduce students to the nature, history, and methods of different disciplines. The designations used for General Education courses are indicated in the course title and description. Concurrent Enrollment students are encouraged to take as many Gen Ed courses as possible while in high school, so they can focus on courses in their major when they begin college.

General Education requirements consist of 30-34 credits from the following course categories:

Breadth Courses

  • American Institutions, BAI
  • Creative Arts, BCA
  • Humanities, BHU
  • Life Sciences, BLS
  • Physical Sciences, BPS
  • Social Sciences, BSS

Competency Courses

  • Communications Literacy, CL1 and CL2
  • Quantitative Literacy, QL

The complete list of General Education Requirements are available in the Catalog.