About This Certificate
Utah State University's online Elementary Mathematics Specialist (EMS) Certificate is designed for graduate students and professionals to strengthen their mathematics content, pedagogy and leadership knowledge and expertise to serve as leaders in elementary mathematics.
As outlined in the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) standards, Elementary Mathematics Specialists are "teachers, teacher leaders, or coaches who are responsible for supporting effective mathematics instruction and student learning at the classroom, school, district, or state levels."
Students who complete the EMS Certificate program will receive a graduate-level certificate as an Elementary Mathematics Specialist that is aligned with national standards.
What You Will Learn
The program is offered completely online. Participants may complete the 24-credit EMS Certificate in one year.
USU's EMS Certificate is available as a stand-alone program, and is also complementary to USU's Master of Education degree. In addition, USU's EMS Certificate is complementary to the Elementary Mathematics Endorsement and the Elementary Mathematics Specialist Endorsement awarded by the Utah State Board of Education.
Cert: Beaver, Bicknell, Blanding, Brigham City, Castle Dale, Cedar City, Cortez (CO), Delta, Ephraim, Heber City, Junction, Kanab, Kaysville, Logan (Main Campus), Moab, Montezuma Creek, Monticello, Monument Valley, Nephi, Online, Orem, Panguitch, Park City, Price (USU Eastern), Richfield, Roosevelt (Uintah Basin), Salt Lake, St George, Tooele, Tremonton, Vernal (Uintah Basin), Wendover
- Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state.
- International students studying at USU on the F-1 or J-1 visa must have the majority of their classes each semester be face-to-face in order to meet the physical presence requirement to maintain their visa status. Students on the F-1 visa must enroll in classes at the Logan or USU Eastern campuses. Students on the J-1 visa must enroll in classes at the Logan campus.
Career And Outcomes
- Mathematics Education Specialists
- Mathematics Curriculum Coordinators or Directors
- Math Instructional Coordinators
- Elementary Math Coach
Take The Next Step
You May Also Be Interested In
Earn a doctorate in education in a college ranked in the top 2% of all graduate colleges of education in the country.
A unique program designed to strengthen K-8 classroom teachers’ knowledge of mathematics content and assessment.