Faculty Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions by faculty.


What is an accommodation?

Any modification or adjustment to policies, practices, procedures, tasks, or the environment that allows a person with a disability equal access.

How will I know that a student has an accommodation

Accommodations will always be communicated from the DRC to you directly (typically via email). If a student tells you about an accommodation and you have not received notice from the DRC, please ask the student to request the accommodation through their DRC Consultant.

When a student asks for an accommodation based on their disability, do I have to do it?

No. Accommodations should be reviewed by and coordinated through the DRC. Accommodations should not change an essential element of the course. We will work with you to make sure that the accommodation is appropriate for your course.

If a student requests an accommodation that I am willing to provide, do I still need them to go to the DRC?

If the student is asking for something you would do for any student then you do not need to coordinate with the DRC, but the student should be made aware of the DRC. If you would only do it because of a student’s disability then you should refer the student to the DRC.

Can employees get accommodations?

Yes, those are requested through HR.


What is considered a disability?

Any physical, mental health, or learning disability that limits a major life activity. Temporary medical conditions with an expected duration of less than 6 months may not be a disability.

Can I ask for verification or documentation of a student's disability?

No, faculty should not request disability documentation. It is the DRC's responsibility to collect the documentation and communicate with the faculty the needed accommodation. It is recommended that faculty/staff do not accept documentation.

Is a student requires to tell me they have a disability?

No, students do not have to disclose that they have a disability. The decision to disclose can be a difficult one and students must have the right to make that decision for themselves. A student must self-identify as a person with a disability to receive accommodations.

Will the DRC inform me anytime a student with a disability is in my class?

No, the DRC only informs faculty when an accommodation has been requested.

Student Support

Can the DRC help me make my materials accessible?

Yes, we can make your documents accessible or teach you how to create them accessible from the outset.

What animals are allowed in the classroom?

Only Service Animals and Service Animals in Training are permitted in the classroom. A service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Emotional support animals, therapy animals, and pets are not allowed in the classroom. The behavior of Service Animal and Service Animal in Training should be in keeping with the student code.

How should I respond when a student tells me they have anxiety or depression?

Whether the student will need an accommodation or not, our office should be recommended. We work with faculty and students in providing reasonable accommodations and support. Most of our referrals are from faculty for students who genuinely need our services.

If I suspect a student could use your support, how do I refer them without offending them?

We are aware of and are trying to change the stigma that can be associated with our office. Explain that you want the student to be successful in your course, and our office may be able helpful in figuring out why the student is struggling.

Does the DRC work with students on statewide campuses?

We work with students all over! We will set up a phone visit if they cannot make it to our office.