USU recognizes the importance of investing in developing leaders (both formal and informal leaders) to become better for those they lead. USU also recognizes that better leaders make better contributors to the university’s mission. In the end, this effort will impact those that the institution serves, namely students, faculty, staff, administrators, and future world leaders.
What is the Leading at USU Certificate and how do I get started?
The Leading at USU series is a collection of live trainings (virtually and classroom) designed to help USU leaders and supervisors in their roles.
- Supervisor's First 90-day Checklist
- Effective Communication
- Strategies for Recognizing, Motivating and Engaging Employees
- Developing Performance
- Managing Difficult Employees
- Understanding Employment Law
- Overview of FMLA and ADA
- Title IX for Supervisors
- Onboarding and Offboarding
- Hiring Right
- Compensation Strategies
- Coaching for Success
- Setting a Vision
- Execute Effectively without Micromanagement
- Building Trust on a Team
Sign up for the Introduction to Leading at USU course to get started and learn more about the certificate.
What Courses are available in the Leading at USU series and how do I enroll?
Leaders can enroll in individual courses based on interest or needs; or you can work towards the certificate by completing all the listed classes below. Leaders do not need to take the courses in order; however, some coureses have prerequisites, as listed.
Course enrollment is available through the university's Institutional Learning Management System (ILS). Click on the links below to enroll for courses individually.
Leading at USU Certification Course RequirementsLeading at USU Foundational Courses Part A-D:
- Leading at USU Part A: Effective Communication
- Leading at USU Part B: Performance Management
- Leading at USU Part C: Stuff You Should Know as a Leader
- Leading at USU Part D: Employee Life Cycle
- Managing the Whirlwind
- Creating an Irresistible Culture
- Coaching for Development
- Leading with Impact
- Two additional leadership courses of your choice
- These can be courses in LinkedIn Learning, external leadership conferences or webinars, or other leadership courses offered by USU.
Please note: Some courses my require a charge to the department for training materials and/or licensing fee.
*The 4 Essential Roles courses are no longer part of this certificate.
**Previously attended 4 Essentials Roles of Leadership courses will count for completion towards the new Leading at USU Management System equivalent course(s). For example, if you completed The 4 Essential Roles of Leadership: Coaching Module you would not need to take any of the modules for the new Coaching for Development series.