Policy 392: Employment of Relatives
Section: Personel Policies
Policy Number: 392
Subject: Employment of Relatives
Covered Employees: University Employees
Origin Date: January 24, 1997
Revision Date(s): July 1, 1999
Effectve Date: July 1, 1999
Download PDF File
1.1 No individual may employ, appoint, or vote for the appointment of his or her relative to any position of paid employment with Utah State University or directly supervise the employee, except in any of the following situations: (See Utah Code Annotated §52-3-1 (1931 as amended)).
(1) The relative was appointed or employed before the supervisor assumed his or her position, if the relative's appointment did not violate the provisions of this policy which were in effect when the supervisor was appointed.
(2) The relative is employed because he or she is the only person available, qualified, or eligible for the position.
(3) The individual is a volunteer as defined by the employing department.
(4) The individual will be employed for 12 weeks or less and all Utah State University hiring policies and procedures are followed.
(5) The President has determined that the appointee's relative is the only person available or qualified to supervise the appointee.
1.2 The University will not accept or retain employment of an individual if his or her initial appointment violates this policy.
1.3 When both the employee and supervisor positions are paid by Utah State University, the employee may accept or retain a supervisory position that results in supervising a relative only if the employee or supervisor makes a complete written disclosure of the relationship to the dean/vice president and the President.
1.4 Any supervisor who exercises authority over a relative may not evaluate the relative's job performance or recommend salary increases for the relative.
1.5 Any supervisor who exercises authority over a relative may not treat the relative differently than other employees and may not give preferential treatment or other advantages to the relative.
A person employed by Utah State University who has hiring authority for and holds a position that directly supervises an employee of Utah State University.
A father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandmother, grandfather, grandson, granddaughter, first cousin, mother-in-law, fatherin-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law.
3.1 Office of Human Resources, Dean, Vice President, and Provost
The Office of Human Resources is responsible for communicating this policy to all employees of the University and assisting in administering this policy in accordance with Utah Law. When notified, it is the responsibility of the Office of Human Resources, dean, vice president, or the Provost to investigate any appointment that violates this policy.
It is the responsibility of each employee to disclose in writing to the Office of Human Resources, dean, vice president, or the Provost any relationship noted in this policy.