Many online courses require proctored exams. The proctor's role is to verify the identity of the student taking the exam and supervise to ensure the instructions specified by the instructor are carried out. USU coordinates with proctors worldwide or through online virtual proctor tools.
Go to Materials and Testing Services to locate a local proctor, or schedule an exam.
Virtual Online Proctoring with Proctorio
Utah State University has partnered with Proctorio to provide virtual proctoring options for courses with online exams. Proctorio is a remote proctoring service software that works within your web browser to monitor test takers for suspicious behaviors.
- Students can access virtual proctoring remotely in Canvas (no need to go to a testing center).
- Students do not need to schedule exams in advance, take them wherever you want!
- Instructors control the level of security
Proctorio System Requirements
- Chrome Browser OR Microsoft Edge
- Chrome Proctorio Extension OR Microsoft Edge Extension
- Web Camera
- Solid internet connection
To Begin Using Proctorio
- Open the Google Chrome Browser or the Microsoft Edge Browser.
- Install the Proctorio Extension for Chrome. (It should take less than 30 seconds) or the Proctorio Extension for Edge.
- Open the Canvas course where you want to use Proctorio.
- Start your exam.
If your Mac is not allowing you to share your screen, open the System Preferences and go to the Security & Privacy Settings. On the Privacy tab, scroll down to the Screen Recording item on the list and make sure that Google Chrome has a check box next to it to allow Chrome to record the contents of your screen.
Before entering an exam, it is important to make sure that your exam environment is set up for success. View the Exam Environment best practices to prepare for the exam with as little technical difficulties and distraction as possible
What Information Does Proctorio Collect?
Unlike other online proctoring services, Proctorio does not employ the use of biometrics or external human based proctors to monitor you while you take the exam. Proctorio will record your identity via webcam and, depending upon the exam settings controlled by individual instructors, monitor your exam attempt in various ways. A multitude of privacy provisions have been established to ensure your privacy and to comply with FERPA regulations.
- Proctorio has no file access of any kind. Proctorio cannot and will not access any of your personal files or documents.
- During an exam Proctorio may take screenshots of your desktop, detect the number of computer monitors connected to your computer, or record your web traffic. This information will only be recorded if the professor has enabled it within the exam settings. The information is stored with zero-knowledge encryption, which means the data is encrypted both in transit and at rest.
- Once an exam is completed, Proctorio no longer has access to this information.
- It is impossible for anyone at Proctorio or any of its affiliates to view exam recordings. They are only accessible to authorized users at your university and through USU's Canvas system.
- Proctorio never stores academic information from any of its users.
- Further information regarding Proctorio's Data Security can be found at https://proctorio.com/about/data-security.
Written exams with ProctorioYou may need to do a written exam with Proctorio. To do this:
- Download and print out the paper exam.
- Open the exam in Canvas (There will be an electronic exam in Canvas associated with your paper exam).
- Follow the prompts in Proctorio and start the exam.
- Once you have completed the exam, scan it and send it back to your instructor. This will likely be done by uploading the file in Canvas.
- Install the CamScanner App. You don’t need to make an account and the free version is sufficient.
- Once installed, open up the CamScanner App and click on the camera icon
- Choose batch mode to scan multiple pages into one document:
- On iPhones, select “Batch”; On Android phones, select the multiple page icon
- Scan each page of your document using the camera icon
- Click on the scanned document (on the bottom right) to preview your document
- Check to ensure the scan is legible and the pages have been cropped correctly then click the check mark (on the bottom right)
- Rename your document and include your first and last name and course information
- Email document to yourself or instructor by clicking “Share” or “Email”