Become a UCC Crew Leader
APPLY to be a UCC Crew Leader
A Utah Conservation Corps Field Crew Leadership position is a valuable opportunity to develop your leadership skills within the conservation field. UCC Crew Leaders provide mentorship and support for UCC field crew members and complete important service at project sites throughout Utah.
The UCC Crew Leader position focuses on providing opportunities for individuals aspiring to assume a leadership role for a variety of conservation projects. The UCC Crew Leader program term of service is approximately 9 months, spanning 3 field seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall).
The UCC Crew Leader begins their term of service in the Spring as a Crew Leader Candidate (CLC). CLC’s participate in hard skills training and peer-led conservation projects during the Spring season (February – May). Field Staff will provide extra attention to debriefing projects, helping CLC’s refine tool and project techniques, attending to areas of individual growth, and teaching the full responsibilities of the UCC Crew Leader position. Informal training will continue throughout the term of service with on-the-ground skills and project-specific training, as needed.
CLC’s will be evaluated by Field Staff throughout the Spring season. Upon demonstration of essential competencies, CLC’s will be promoted into a UCC Crew Leader role for the Summer and Fall seasons. UCC Crew Leaders may be required to co-lead in collaboration with another Crew Leader during the Summer and Fall seasons depending on project needs.
During the Summer and Fall seasons, UCC Crew Leaders are responsible for facilitating a positive crew member experience by setting an example of enthusiasm throughout work and camp life while leading a 5 to 10-person crew on various conservation-related projects. UCC Crew Leaders provide direct leadership, mentorship, support and training for their UCC field crew. Crew Leaders are also responsible for upholding UCC values, ensuring that UCC policies and procedures are followed, communicating with project partners, and recording and reporting weekly project outcome data and other documentation.
Term Dates: February 16 - November 22, 2022
Locations: Logan, Moab & Cedar City, UT
- Americorps Living Allowance paid twice per month. $825.00 bimonthly for the spring season. $975.00 bimonthly for the summer and fall seasons.
- AmeriCorps Education Award (upon successful completion of term of service): $6,345.00
- Health Insurance benefit of up to $100.00 a month on new plans through the Marketplace on Healthcare.gov
- Forbearance on qualifying student loans while in service
- Conservation Leadership Training and Experience
- Wilderness First Responder Certification
- Option to qualify through UCC USFS Chainsaw Program as an A bucker/feller sawyer.
- Utah Herbicide Applicator License