Individual Placement (IP) FAQ

About The Position

What is AmeriCorps?

AmeriCorps is a voluntary national service program supported by the U.S. federal government, foundations, corporations, and other donors engaging adults in public service work with a goal of helping others and meeting critical needs in the community.

AmeriCorps is often referred to as "the domestic Peace Corps." Both agencies are committed to service, and both offer challenging and rewarding full-time opportunities. Peace Corps assignments are all overseas, and AmeriCorps members serve only in the US. While Peace Corps Volunteers serve for two years, a stint in AmeriCorps usually lasts 10 months to one year. (Some AmeriCorps projects also offer part-time opportunities, and some AmeriCorps members serve more than one term of service.)

What does a UCC Individual Placement member do?

Individual Placements serva at organizations throughout the state of Utah to address community needs through direct service related to environmental stewardship, education, and conservation.

Where do UCC IP AmeriCorps Members serve?

Non-profit, federal, and educational institutions in the state of Utah.

How do I get started?

Reach out to Greta Schen, UCC's Individual Placement & Disaster Response Coordinator:

Living Expenses

Does UCC provide residential housing?

No. UCC does not provide housing.

Do AmeriCorps Members need to have a car to work as a UCC IP?

This is dependent on couple things - where you reside and where your service site is located. Many sites do not require IP's to have a vehicle.

Does the UCC supply Members with health care insurance?

For Full-time, 1700 hour members only. UCC will reimburse health insurance premiums for 1700 hour members up to $100/month. All UCC AmeriCorps Members in less than a 1700 hour term of service are responsible for paying all health insurance costs.

What clothing do AmeriCorps Members need to wear while serving?

It is required that AmeriCorps members wear the AmeriCorps logo while serving. UCC will provide you with a shirt and lanyard that display the AmeriCorps logo.

Is food paid for?

No. The AmeriCorps living allowance is intended to be used for purchasing food. Also, many UCC AmeriCorps Members are eligible for food stamps.

Rules and Restrictions

Am I eligible to enroll in the AmeriCorps Program?

You must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States to be an AmeriCorps member.

You must be 18 years of age or older.

Can AmeriCorps Members take vacations during their term of service?

Time off and vacations are approved on a case by case basis. Your supervisor and the UCC Individual Placement Coordinator can help you determine your options.

Do I need training to serve with UCC?

You will need to complete an orientation at the beginning of your term of service with UCC. This training is offered in multiple formats (online, in person) to accommodate your needs as an AmeriCorps Individual Placement member.

Is the Utah Conservation Corps AmeriCorps program for Utah residents only?

No. If you are a citizen of the United States and 18 years of age or older, you may apply.

Can I apply if I am a student?

Yes, if you are 18 years and older, you may apply.

Please note: You will need to be able to commit your time to both your AmeriCorps term of service and your education. Exercise caution and evaluate the amount of time you will need to allocate toward each endeavor.