Steps to Obtaining a Child Care License

Work from home, serve your community, and nurture the upcoming generation!

You may be eligible to receive a $2,900 grant for start-up costs and materials!

This is a limited grant opportunity for new family child care providers in Cache, Box Elder, and Rich counties. 

All our services are free of charge. Contact Zinthia today at 435-797-3956 for eligibility requirements and more information.


Visit the Child Care Licensing Page and Complete the New Provider Training

New Provider Training

Apply for the Child Care License

Child Care License Application

Submit Background Check Form and Fingerprints

Anyone age 12 or older who lives in the home must submit a background check. Fingerprints must be submitted for each individual who lives in the home over the age of 18. To access the background check form, visit: Background Screening Form.

Fees for fingerprint appointments are currently being waived and can be made by calling our office at 435-797-1552.

Create a Utah ID

You will create a Utah ID to log into your Child Care Licensing portal. Your Child Care Licensing portal is where you will submit documents, view your licensing record, authorize or cancel background check forms, and submit your W9 form.

Create a Utah ID


Log into Your Child Care Licensing Portal

Log into Your Child Care Licensing Portal

Obtain and Complete the Following:

  • Obtain an Infant/Child CPR/First Aid Certificate: The CPR/First Aid certificate must include infant and child, as well as hands-on testing. Contact us at 435-797-1552 for information about where you can obtain your First Aid/ CPR certificate.
  • Obtain a Business License: Contact the city or county the facility is located in to obtain a business license.
  • Obtain a Food Handlers Permit: Contact the Bear River Health Department at 435-792-6500 to find out when their classes are being held, or visit: Bear River Health Department Classes 
  • Complete a Fire Inspection: Contact the local fire authority the facility is located in to schedule a fire inspection.
  • Complete a Kitchen Inspection: Contact the local Health Department to complete a kitchen inspection.

Onsite Inspection with Licensor

Once all required documents are submitted, a licensor will contact you to schedule an onsite inspection. At the inspection, the licensor will assess compliance with the licensing rules and will measure your facility to determine the total capacity of your facility.

Start-Up Grant Information

A family child care provider start-up grant is available to anyone who is issued a Family Child Care License. You must apply for the grant within 12 months of receiving your license. The grant is awarded as a reimbursement after start-up expenses have been incurred. The provider must submit copies of receipts documenting all expenses. The grant reimburses providers up to $400 for costs associated with the initial licensing process. Please keep receipts for the following purchases and fees:

  • Business License Fees
  • Fire & Kitchen Inspection Fees
  • Fire Extinguishers, Smoke Detectors, First Aid Kits
  • First Aid, CPR
  • Food Handler’s Permit Training

Questions? Contact Zinthia at 435-797-3956 or