Human Development and Family Studies - PhD

Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services

About This Degree

The Department of Human Development and Family Studies is housed in the College of Education and Human Services, which is in the top 2% of all graduate colleges of education in the nation and is ranked third in total research dollars received.

Most of our PhD graduates are currently teaching and/or conducting research at the university level. Some are employed at research organizations or in research extension positions.

What You Will Learn

The PhD in Human Development and Family Studies provides strong integrative training in theory, research methods, and statistics relevant to a primary and secondary concentrations in:

  • Family Relations
  • Human Development
  • Marriage and Family Therapy

At a Glance

College: Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services

Department: Human Development and Family Studies Department

USU Locations:

  • Logan campus

Faculty: View profiles of faculty members on the department directory.

Program Requirements

Career And Outcomes

Career Opportunities

Recent graduates have found employment as teachers and counselors in the following areas:

  • Public schools
  • Academic departments at colleges and universities
  • Research centers
  • Hospitals
  • Head Start
  • Child care programs
  • Social services agencies
  • Mental health agencies
  • Private and clinical practice settings
  • Extension services
  • Financial institutions and agencies
  • Any related agencies that teach about, study, or serve individuals, families, and consumers

Job Outlook



Travis Dorsch

Associate Professor, Program Director
Office: FL 111B
Phone: (435) 797-4565

I am not a current USU student

I have not applied or been admitted, even if I've taken a USU Concurrent Enrollment course

I am a current USU student

I have been admitted and plan to attend, or continue attending USU

USU Locations



Admission Requirements

It is preferred that applicants have the equivalent of at least a minor in family, consumer, or child studies. However, competent students have been admitted from a variety of backgrounds. We require an upper-division statistics and upper-division research methods course of all incoming graduate students. If a student does not have a family, consumer, or child studies background, they may be required to take prerequisite courses depending on their experience.

Application Requirements:

  • Complete the online application
  • Pay the $55 application fee
  • Submit an academic writing sample of at least five double-spaced pages in length. Examples may include a class paper, literature review, undergraduate or master's thesis, or an in-progress or published scholarly manuscript.
  • Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
  • Provide transcripts of all college/university credits
  • Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation

International students have additional admissions requirements.


The department has the following deadline:

  • Fall semester – December 15

Financial Aid

The department tries to arrange funding for all first-year students. After the student’s first year, they must find their own funding, but various funding opportunities are still available.

A variety of funding opportunities are available on the graduate school website.

Take The Next Step

You May Also Be Interested In

Disability Disciplines

Gain experience conducting and reporting research, writing grants, and teaching as you earn a degree from a program ranked in the top 20 nationally.

Human Development and Family Studies

Gain in-depth experience in an area of interest to you as you acquire both theoretical and practical knowledge.

Marriage and Family Therapy

Prepare for a rewarding career as you earn the academic and clinical practice requirements for licensure as a marriage and family therapist.

Rehabilitation Counseling

Graduate from the highest-ranked program at USU with job possibilities in mental health, addiction, and disability care facilities. Students with any undergraduate major can apply.