Grievance Procedure

The Disability Resources Center (DRC) is committed to access for disabled students. If you have concerns about DRC's process or services, or believe that you have not received reasonable accommodation, we encourage you to first communicate directly with your Accessibility Consultant as they are the person most knowledgeable about your situation. If need be, DRC Director, David Pruden, will work with the student and consultant to resolve problems informally. If the issue is not sufficiently resolved, a formal complaint may be filed.

The complaint should be in writing and contain information about the alleged discrimination. It should be submitted as soon as possible but no later than 30 calendar days after the alleged violation to:

David Pruden
Disability Resource Center
University Inn Suite 101

Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the complaint David will speak with the student to discuss the complaint and the possible resolutions. Within 7 calendar days of the meeting, David will respond in writing to explain the position of the DRC.

If the response by David does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, the complainant may appeal the decision within 15 calendar days after receipt of the response to:

Dr. Jane Irungu
Vice President
Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Old Main Suite 112

Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the appeal, she or her designee will speak with the student individually to resolve problems related to services and treatment. Within 7 calendar days she or her designee will respond in writing explaining the position of USU.

The Office of Equity is the University's designated office for addressing concerns and complaints of discrimination, including disability discrimination, under Policy 305. 

Prior to filing a complaint with the Office of Equity against the DRC or a DRC employee regarding accommodation determinations, individuals must engage in the DRC grievance process.

Although students are encouraged to try to resolve grievances within the campus, you also have the right to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights at any time. Additional information can be found on the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 website. Additionally, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website also has more information.