Frequently Asked Questions

For more information email or stop by our office in the David B. Haight Center (DBHC), second floor.

How do I apply?

All applications are completed online.  Students are encouraged to visit with advisors in the IOGP office prior to applying to discuss the internship options that best meet their needs, skill sets, and interests.  

Am I eligible to apply for an IOGP internship?

All majors with a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA or higher are eligible although freshmen are encouraged to wait until they are sophomores or juniors to apply.  Most positions require interns who are currently enrolled as students, but some will accept recent graduates.

What additional documents do I need to turn in with my application?

You will be required to submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and names and email addresses of two academic recommenders (usually professors).  For help with cover letters and writing samples, students are encouraged to visit with the advisors in USU's Career Services. 

Where do I live during my internship?

Interns are responsible for finding their own housing.  Interns in Washington, D.C. have the option of living in USU’s subsidized student housing in Crystal City, VA. The apartment building is located next to the Crystal City metro stop and is just 20 minutes away from Capitol Hill.  Apartments are fully furnished and shared with other students. 

Interns in other areas (state/local, and international) are typically responsible for their own individual housing arrangements. The most common arrangements include leasing apartments for the duration of the internship, commuting and or staying with family/friends.  Internships through partner programs generally include housing in their placement costs.

Note: For students who are staying at Crystal Plaza (the USU subsidized student housing in Virginia), the closest airport to the apartments is Reagan National Airport. Crystal Plaza is one metro stop away from Reagan. Students may also fly into Dulles International Airport, bus to the metro, and use the metro to get to Crystal Plaza. For more information about best travel options, visit our office in the David B. Haight Alumni Center or email

What is the best way to pay for my internship?

We encourage applicants to seek out scholarships offered through their departments and colleges to help cover travel expenses.  Please explore our scholarship tab for a list of other departmental, college, national and other scholarships.

Can I earn credit for my internship?

Yes. Students can earn up to 12 academic credits for most internships. For most internships, up to nine graded credits are available for 1) completing the internship, 2) writing a research paper, and 3) creating a portfolio of work completed during the internship. For the Utah Legislature and Washington DC internships, three pass/fail credits are also available for attending a series of six seminars during the internship and writing a summary of each.  For international internships, tuition is often included in your program fee.

For more information about receiving credit for state or national internships, please email Dr. Damon Cann at  For international internships, email Dr. Shannon Peterson at

How much am I paid as an intern?

That depends on the internship.  Many highly desirable and competitive internships are unnpaid.  There are a number of state/local and Congressional internships available through the IOGP that include a small stipend each month.  If you receive and accept an unpaid internship, you may be eligible for some housing and or travel scholarships through the IOGP.   

Which writing sample should I submit?

The good news is that you do not need to write a new piece for your writing sample submission. Simply submit a copy of a paper, article, or review you have written for a class. The subject matter is insignificant. It should, however, demonstrate your skills as a writer. We ask that writing samples are limited to 3-4 pages.  If you need help or assistance with a writing sample, we encourage you to visit USU's Writing Center. 

Do I have to be a political science major?

 No! Internships are available for students in all majors.  In particular, global internship opportunities can be designed with specific majors in mind.

Where is the IOGP located?

The IOGP is located in the David B. Haight Center, second floor.