Guidelines for International Travel
The following is intended to be used as a check-list for group travel planning and management. List items should be considered but may not be applicable.
Preliminary Planning and Actions
- Trip itinerary has been fully identified.
- Availability of all transportation required (common carriers and chartered) has been verified.
- Emergency alternative carriers and providers have been identified.
- Availability of all required lodging and other planned service providers has been verified.
- American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements have been met as applicable.
- Lodging and transportation arrangements conform to acceptable safety standards and verified by knowledgeable person(s).
- Contracts (or terms) of carriers and providers have been approved and secured.
- Most recent State Department Consular Information Sheets, Public Announcements and Travel Warnings have been reviewed.
- The need for Emergency Medical Evacuation insurance has been evaluated.
- All necessary visas have been identified and preparations made to obtain them.
- Deviations in final plans from advance brochures and advertisements have been identified.
Participants have been informed of:
- Complete itinerary and anticipated costs.
- All changes from advance brochures and advertisements.
- Possibilities for and consequences of trip cancellation or interruption.
- Health concerns per CDC information releases.
- Immunizations required and recommended.
- State Department's Consular Information concerning each destination and intended routes:
- Entry requirements
- Crime and security
- State Department's Consular Information concerning each destination and intended routes for: a) Currency regulations; b) Political stability; c) Other significant risks disclosed
The following information has been obtained from each participant as applicable:
- Names of relatives or other persons to contact in case of an emergency.
- Medical Insurance policy number and carrier name and address.
- Signed Release of Liability and Parental Consent forms (if a minor).
- A copy of the Certification of immunizations.
- Copies of all required passports and visas .
- Any medical conditions, allergies, medications, etc. that may need special attention in an emergency and instructions.
The following arrangements are in place:
- 24-hour primary and backup campus contacts for each trip.
- Names and addresses of contact persons for each planned destination on the itinerary .
- Plans for interim communicative contact(s) when the duration of the trip or the itinerary warrants updates.
- Agreement on criteria that may warrant termination of the trip.