Sample Submission Information
Fresh tissues / materials
- Feces from the small colon placed in a red top tube.
- Ligated loop of ileum placed into a whirl pack or equivalent bag.
- Liver, spleen, lung, kidney and mesenteric lymph node placed together in a whirl pack or equivalent bag.
Gastrointestinal track (all segments opened lengthwise prior to immersion in formalin).
- Rumen, reticulum, omasum, abomasums, duodenum, jejunum (several pieces from different areas – pick the most red areas), ileum (most important of all), cecum and spiral colon.
Other tissues (no sample more than ¼ inch thick).
- Most important – lung, heart, liver and kidney.
- Less important – thyroid, adrenal gland, mesenteric lymph node, urinary bladder, adrenal gland and portions of the brain.
Measure and record the crown to rump length.
- Lung, liver, spleen and kidney placed together in a whirl pack or equivalent bag.
- Thyroid gland (bovine), lung and spleen placed together in a whirl pack or equivalent bag.
- 5 to 10 ml of abomasal fluid (if available) in a 10 ml red top tube.
Placenta, thyroid gland, thymus, lung, heart, liver, spleen, kidney, adrenal gland and the brain.
- Brain sample should include the brain stem at least (most important).
- The meninges have to be incised and reflected off the brain surface prior to attempting brain removal.
- Submit brain even if it is the consistency of cream-based soup.