The August 2020 Newsletter for the Utah Women & Leadership Project highlights new resources released, editorials, and announcements about women's groups and partnerships.
August 2020 Newsletter
I hope summer is going well for all of you.
I have moved the Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP) to the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business at Utah State University and partner closely with USU Extension. I hope you’ll take time to explore the new website as it has so much to offer in terms of research, resources, and events. We have a number of announcements for August:
First, we are pleased to announce the release of a new research and policy brief titled “The Status of Women Leaders in Government – State of Utah.” Dr. April Townsend was the lead researcher and co-author, and financial support for the study came from Utah Valley University. We found some interesting results.
Second, we have three free online events coming up in August and September (RSVP online). These are sponsored by the Huntsman School of Business and the Utah Education Network:
- Fall Women’s Leadership Forum: The Gender Wage Gap: Digging Deep into Understanding The Complexity (Aug. 18, Noon-1:30pm). Panelists: Katie Hudman, Senator Luz Escamilla, Carrie Mayne, and Erin Jemison.
- Fall Workshop: Getting It Together - Body, Mind, and Spirit Self-Care in Tough Times (Sept. 11, Noon-1:30pm). Presenter: Kathie Debenham.
- Fall Women’s Leadership Forum: Exploring the Intersectionality of Race & Gender (Sept. 18, Noon-1:30pm). Panelists: Sui Lang L. Panoke, Michelle Love-Day, Dr. Christy Glass, and Dr. LaShawn Williams.
Third, we have a few resources to highlight this month: 1) Find new UWLP curriculum on this webpage for “Confidence From Head to Toe: Learn to Be Confident in the Way You Think, Move, and Communicate” (girls 10-17), designed by Bonnie Mortensen and sponsored by Wheeler Machinery Co.; 2) discover new content on our Toolkits by Topic page (PDF and slides); and 3) in partnership with The Center for Entrepreneurship at USU, we have added a new section to our videos page titled “Utah Women & Entrepreneurship.”
Fourth, here are some of our partners’ upcoming events:
- Aug. 11 (11am-1:00pm): Prioritizing Your Well-Being: Why, What and How (Business Women’s Forum, Salt Lake Chamber)
- Aug. 14 (10am-Noon): Strengthening Our Influence as Women: Confidence, Competence, and Leadership (Women’s Business Center of Utah)
- Aug 26 (6:30pm-7:45pm): Women Claiming Their Place + Stepping Up to Lead (Mormon Women for Ethical Government)
- Registration Open: 2020-2021 Political Development Series (Runs Sept.-Feb., Women’s Leadership Institute)
- Registration Opening Soon: Oct. 9 (8:30am-4:30pm) - Women in the Money Conference (Utah Financial Empowerment Coalition, Utah Treasurer’s Office)
Finally, check out the following editorials and articles from June and July:
- All Unconscious Bias Training Is Not Equal (Forbes)
- Guest Opinion: A Father’s Influence on Daughters (Daily Herald)
- Project Resilience: Balancing Care-Giving and Career for Women in Their 40's and 50's (Utah Public Radio)
- Utah Can Be the Place for the Pioneering Women of Today (Deseret News)
- Female Legislators Rise Up (PBS Utah)
- Takeaways from “Diversity Wins: How Inclusion Matters” by McKinsey & Company (LinkedIn)
- Guest Editorial: Use Your Vote. Use Your Voice (The Salt Lake Tribune)
- Guest Opinion: Advocate for Expanding Definition of an 'Ideal Leader' (Daily Herald)
- Women Collaborating with Men (LinkedIn)
Join us on the UWLP social media: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. See the community calendar as well. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you want to receive these updates to your own inbox if you received a forwarded email.
Stay safe and healthy this month!
Prof./Dr. Susan R. Madsen
Inaugural Karen Haight Huntsman Endowed Professor of Leadership
Director, Utah Women & Leadership Project
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Utah State University