August Newsletter for the Utah Women & Leadership Project at Utah State University.
August 2023 Newsletter
Good morning! I have a number of Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP) announcements for August:
First, we are pleased to announce the release of a new research snapshot titled “Single Mothers in Utah.” Thanks to Drs. Kristy Hodson and Emily S. Darowski for their fabulous work on this snapshot.
Second, join Nubia Pena, Sui Lang L. Panoke, and me for a free UWLP webinar about Utah’s new A Bolder Way Forward for Utah initiative to be held on Sept. 20, noon-1:15pm (RSVP online). In collaboration with over 50 Utah partners thus far, we have launched a powerful new 7-year initiative focused on helping more Utah girls and women thrive (see www.abolderwayforward.org for more details). If you want to be involved, complete this participant survey; if your entity wants to jump on board in some way, here is the link to a survey for companies/organizations.
Third, we have a few new UWLP resources to highlight this month:
- Online Course: College & Leadership: Opening the Door to Your Future (for girls/young women, $10)
- Podcast Episodes (with Utah Public Radio): Perceptions of Gender Bias in the Utah Workplace and Mammography Among Utah Women: A 2023 Update
- Infographic: Mammography Among Utah Women: A 2023 Update
Fourth, the Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity, the Cox-Henderson Administration, and the UWLP partnered on the initiative titled “100 Companies Championing Women in Utah.” We just finished recognizing our 2023 cohort of 100 companies. We have now opened nominations for an additional 100 companies to be recognized in a 2024 cohort. If your organization (e.g., company, nonprofit, university) does great things to champion women in Utah, we invite you to submit a nomination: https://inutah.org/100-companies/.
Fifth, here are some of our partners’ upcoming events:
- August 8 (multiple dates) - Fall 2023 Empowering Financial Wellness Webinar Series for Women (Empowering Financial Wellness, USU Extension)
- August 17 (6:00pm-8:00pm) - 23rd Annual Women in Business Summer Social (Women’s Business Center of Utah)
- August 22 (3:30pm-5:00pm) - WTC Career Series: Lessons from the C-Suite (Women Tech Council)
- August 23 (4:00pm-6:30pm) - How Utah Culture Impacts Women (Women’s Leadership Institute)
- September 5-6 - Kinect WeROC 2023 Conference (Kinect Capital WeROC)
- September 6-8 - 2023 Domestic Violence Solutions Conference (Utah Domestic Violence Coalition)
- September 12 (3:00pm-7:00pm) - Welcoming Week Open House (Women of the World)
- September 12 (3:00pm-8:00pm) - Exploring Possibilities Conference (Cedar City) (Women’s Business Center of Utah)
- September 14 (six-month cohort) - Political Development Series (Women’s Leadership Institute)
- September 28-29 - 2023 Women in the Money Hybrid Conference (Utah Financial Empowerment Coalition, Utah Treasurer’s Office)
- September 29 (5:30pm-7:30pm) - The Barn Party for Prevention (Prevent Child Abuse Utah)
Finally, check out some key articles and media published this past month:
- Spotlight: 100 Companies Championing Women (Utah Business Magazine, Jul. 2023)
- Domestic Violence Among Utah Women (LinkedIn, Jul. 26, 2023)
- A Bolder Way Forward Will Help Families and Communities (Money Making Sense Podcast, Jul. 19, 2023)
- Perceptions of Gender Bias in the Utah Workplace (LinkedIn, Jul. 13, 2023)
- Podcast: A Conversation With Dr. Susan Madsen and the Workforce Challenges Utah Women Face (Business Elevated Podcast, Jul. 11, 2023)
- When it Comes to Leadership in Utah, Where are the Women? (Utah Business, Jul. 11, 2023)
- UWLP Supports “100 Companies Championing Women” (Cache Valley Daily, Jul. 7, 2023)
- Leading the Way: Best Practices of Utah's Top 100 Companies That Champion Women (Utah State Today, Jul. 6, 2023)
- Men Perceive Less Gender Bias Than Women in the Utah Workplace — What Can We Do About It? (Deseret News, Jul. 1, 2023)
Join us on the UWLP social media platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. See the community calendar as well. Email email@example.com to let us know you want to receive these updates to your own inbox if you received a forwarded email.
Prof./Dr. Susan R. Madsen
Inaugural Karen Haight Huntsman Endowed Professor of Leadership
Director, Utah Women & Leadership Project
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Utah State University