November Newsletter for the Utah Women & Leadership Project at Utah State University.
November 2023 Newsletter
Good morning! I have a number of Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP) announcements for November:
First, we are pleased to announce the release of a new research snapshot titled “Childcare—What Utahns Need to Know Now: A 2023 Update” (Authors: Drs. Robyn Blackburn & Emily Darowski). Additionally, we released a new “What Can I Do?” idea sheet for Washington County (based on a community gathering in St. George). Thanks to everyone involved in these publications.
Second, the UWLP is conducting a statewide study to explore more deeply Utahns’ understanding, awareness, attitudes, concerns, and perceptions around challenges that women and girls face. We welcome all individuals living in the state age 18 or older to participate (including men). The survey will take 10-20 minutes to complete. I am the primary researcher for this study. If you have questions or concerns, you can contact me (USU IRB 13906). You can participate by clicking on the applicable link: English or Spanish. We would also greatly appreciate you sending it to others of any interest or support level for this work. We hope to have participation in all counties around the state and get a wide representation of understanding and attitudes.
Third, we have a few UWLP resources to highlight this month:
- Podcast Episodes (with Utah Public Radio): A Bolder Way Forward Conversations: Gender Pay Gap, Leadership Development, Workforce Development, and Sexual Assault
- Event Video: Understanding Sexism in Utah
Fourth, congratulations to the 2023 cohort of 100 Companies Championing Women! Applications are now open for the 2024 cohort. Organizations large and small that offer family-friendly policies and practices as well as women-specific initiatives are encouraged to apply. We partner with the Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity on this initiative and look forward to recognizing more Utah companies.
Fifth, here are some of our partners’ upcoming events:
- November 2 (8:00am-3:30pm) - Women & Business Conference 2023 (Salt Lake Chamber)
- November 3 (9:00am-1:30pm) - Polished: Women in Business Conference (UVU Woodbury School of Business)
- November 7 (multiple dates) - Fall 2023 Financial Wellness Webinar Series for Women (Empowering Financial Wellness, USU Extension)
- November 15 (11:30am-12:30pm) - The Safe Child Project - Rally at the Utah State Capitol (The Policy Project)
- November 15 (5:00pm-7:00pm) - Earn: Navigating Career, Compensation, and Culture (SheMoney)
- January 30 (10:00am-3:00pm) - 2024 Women's Leadership Seminar (UAMMI - Utah Advanced Materials and Manufacturing)
Finally, check out some key articles and media published this past month:
- Utah Women and Fertility: Trends and Changes from 1970–2021 (LinkedIn, Oct. 30, 2023)
- Eating Disorders Among Utah Women (LinkedIn, Oct. 16, 2023)
- Is Utah the Best State For Business? Rankings Say Yes — And No. (The Salt Lake Tribune, Oct. 11, 2023)
- Where are the Women? Men Still Hold Most Seats on Utah’s Boards on Natural Resources, Housing and More. (The Salt Lake Tribune, Oct. 6, 2023)
- Empowering Women: A Look at Utah's Boards and Commissions in 2023 (Utah State Today, Oct. 5, 2023)
- A Bolder Way Forward: Utah Organizations Partner to Advance Women’s Equality (Utah Business, Oct. 3, 2023)
- All Moms are Stay-at-Home Moms in Utah, Right? (KUER, Oct. 3, 2023)
Join us on the UWLP social media platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, and YouTube. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you want to receive these updates to your own inbox if you received a forwarded email.
Prof./Dr. Susan R. Madsen
Inaugural Karen Haight Huntsman Endowed Professor of Leadership
Director, Utah Women & Leadership Project
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Utah State University