Historical Buildings- Ray L. & Eloise Lillywhite

"Communicative Disorders Building"

hammer

Built

1946

building

Architect | Contractor

Karl Schaub | Raymond Construction

ruler

Square Feet

19,852

coins

Source of Funds

State Government

pencil

Primary Use

Instruction

History

Constructed in 1946, the Lillywhite Building was originally a workshop and warehouse building, complete with a carpenter’s shop and a vehicle maintenance shop. It also housed the campus motor pool and the USU police headquarters.

Ray Lillywhite graduated from Utah State University, where he served as student body president. He volunteered and served in the Navy as a fighter director officer in World War II, where he received special recognition as Outstanding Fighter Director in the Pacific. He also served as commanding officer of the Naval Reserves in Madison, Wisconsin.

Eloise Lillywhite obtained a normal teaching certificate from Utah State University. She worked at the Bureau of Labor Statistics in Washington, D.C., and, during World War II, at the War Department in Washington. She later worked with the Utah Education Association in Utah and served as deputy treasurer at the University of Wisconsin.

front of lilly white building

lilly white building

lilly white building