Reporting Violations of Your Rights


If your safety or the safety of others is at risk, contact USU Police immediately by calling 911 or by calling the 24-hour dispatch center
at 435-797-1939.

Infringement of Rights to Free Speech and Assembly 

Violations of free expression and/or assembly rights, as protected by USU policy and by state and federal law, can be reported to the University’s Ethics & Compliance Hotline.


Violations of USU’s nondiscrimination policies, including discriminatory harassment, can be reported to the Office of Equity using its online reporting form.

Criminal Activity 

If the speech or conduct involves a crime, including trespass, electronic harassment, vandalism, or violence or threats of violence, report it to USU Police immediately or call 9-1-1.

Responding to Derogatory Speech

If you are confronted with derogatory speech or materials:

  • Keep in mind that even though you find it offensive, it may be protected free speech.
  • Consider organizing an appropriate, nonviolent response.
  • Seek help from the Social Climate Support Team if you feel like you would like support.
  • If you feel you are being singled out or targeted or if you think that the conduct or speech violates university policy, file a discrimination complaint to the Office of Equity.