J-1 Visa Student Interns

Utah State University will sponsor international undergraduate students coming to work on collaborative research (without enrolling in a full-course of study) on the J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program’s Student Intern category.


Program requirements

  • The student intern must be enrolled in a program of study in their home country. 
    • The internship must "fulfill the educational objectives for his or her current degree program at his or her home institution."
  • Must be full-time (minimum of 32 hours a week). 
    • No more than 20% of the program activities can be clerical in nature. 
  • Must be for a minimum of 3 weeks. The program cannot last longer than 12 months, including any time spent in a previous J-1 visa student intern program at the same degree level.
  • Internships cannot place a student intern in any position that involves the following:
    • Unskilled or casual labor
    • Child care or elder care
    • Aviation
    • "Clinical positions or engaging in any other kind of work that involves patient care or contact, including any work that would require student interns to provide therapy, medication, or other clinical or medical care (e.g., sports or physical therapy, psychological counseling, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, social work, speech therapy, or early childhood education)"
    • Any "position, occupation, or business that could bring the Exchange Visitor Program or the Department into notoriety or disrepute."
  • Any "position, occupation, or business that could bring the Exchange Visitor Program or the Department into notoriety or disrepute." 
  • Does not displace full- or part-time or temporary or permanent American workers or serve to fill a labor need and ensures that the position that the student interns fills exists solely to assist the student intern in achieving the objectives of his or her participation in a student internship program.
  • Student internship programs in the field of agriculture meet all the requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act, as amended (29 U.S.C. 201 et seq.) and the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, as amended (29 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.) 

Process to Host a Student Intern at USU

  • Submit the request for the Form DS-2019 as per the instructions on this website.
    • Include a completed Form DS-7002 T/IPP with signatures from the student intern and faculty host.
      • The U.S. Department of State prefers wet signatures whenever possible.
      • The Program Sponsor for this form is Utah State University, the Program Category is Student Intern, and the Program Number is P-1-01418.
      • Link to sample Form DS-7002

    • Upload documentation as to how the internship will fulfill the educational objectives of the student intern’s degree program.
      • E.g. enrollment in required course from the home institution, the experience is part of a capstone project, results of the research will be included in their thesis, etc. 

Global Engagement Staff Invites the Student Intern to the Scholar Portal

The student intern must upload the following documents after they have been invited to the Scholar Portal:
  • Transcript
  • CV/ resumé
  • Copy of passport for scholar and any dependents
  • Financial affidavits verifying financial support for the visiting scholar program
  • Visiting scholars need to show the total amount for their program with a minimum living expense of US$1,800/month
    • E.g. a visiting scholar coming for 12 months needs to provide proof of funding in the amount of US$21,600 ($1,800 x 12 months)
  • Visiting scholars need to show funding for dependents for the entire duration of their program at the rate of US$7,206/year (or $600.50/month) (or part thereof) funding for a spouse and US$4,989/year (or $415.75/month) (or part thereof) for each child.
    • E.g. a visiting scholar with a spouse and one child coming for a 15 month program needs to provide financial affidavits for a total amount of US$42,243.75
      • US$1,800/month x 15 months for the visiting scholar = US$27,000
      • US$600.50 x 15 months for the spouse = US$9,007.50
      • US$415.75 x 15 months for the child = US$6,236.25

Global Engagement Action

Global Engagement staff provides the Form DS-2019 along with instructions on how to apply for the J-1 visa.

We also provide pre-arrival information modules to assist student interns with housing, required health insurance, local transportation, and other information to assist with their arrival and adaptation to the local community.

Required Evaluations

Federal regulations require program sponsors to conduct an evaluation “prior to the conclusion of a student internship program”. “Programs lasting longer than six months also require a midpoint evaluation.”

Utilize this form to document the evaluation. The student intern will upload this in the Scholar Portal via the request “EVP Quarterly Report”.

Visiting Scholar Arrival, Travel, and Employment Information