Online Success Strategies
Online learning is a great opportunity that provides a great deal of flexibility and convenience in earning your degree. You can log onto online courses from anywhere in the world, and whenever it is convenient for you.
Pursuing a fully online degree also requires self-discipline and motivation on your part to be successful. Most online courses are asynchronous, meaning that you can participate in a location and at times that work best for you. While there is plenty of flexibility in the online environment, there are also deadlines for assignments and specific expectations set by the instructor so that you can excel as an online student. Become familiar with all requirements and expectations, make a plan, and then carry out this plan so that you can maximize all learning opportunities!
Your online classes may include individual assignments, discussion postings, and quizzes/exams; there are may also be cooperative group projects and group assignments. Your instructor will support you by: guiding you through activities, posting announcements, providing lectures, responding to questions, and providing timely feedback on assignments and exams. Most importantly, online learning requires significant responsibility on your part to be prepared, remain engaged, and be successful. See the following information regarding strategies for being a successful online student.
Ten Habits of Successful Online Students
- Find support and positive encouragement from friends and family who understand what motivates them and will help them to achieve their goals.
- Form a "game plan" to proactively address time management, stress, and other personal barriers that may impede their success. Create a study calendar with important dates and weekly to-do lists to help you stay on track.
- Reflect on your progress throughout the course.
- Be proactive about asking questions and take the initiative to contact your instructor when clarity is needed.
- Identify your own goals each week and seek resources that will help you to meet the challenges of these goals.
- Participate in online learning communities and get connected with other students.
- Use and apply feedback from the instructor toward your progress.
- Get into "School Mode" by turning off your phone, TV, and other distractions when studying.
- Reflect on your personal and professional goals and how they are related to the course.
- Set aside quiet, uninterrupted time to focus on your success.
Links and Resources
Manage learning and set goals.
- Time Management Tips for Online Students
- Technology Tips for Online Students
- Preparing for Tests
- View all Academic Support Resources
Strive for success.
- Overview of the Canvas Grades Tool
- Overview of the Canvas Discussions Tool
- Submit Assignments for Feedback in Canvas
- View all Canvas Student Guides
Find your path and stay focused.