Skip to main content

Faculty Grading Information

Banner Faculty Grade Entry Tutorial

Grades at USU can be entered directly through Banner or passed to Banner from Canvas. This tutorial will demonstrate the various features Banner Faculty Grade Entry: Banner Faculty Grade Entry.pdf

Grade Entry Details

Grade Entry: A grade must be entered for each student on your list prior to the deadline. If a student did not attend or complete your course, an F grade must be assigned. Do not leave blanks. If necessary, a student has the right to pursue an Academic Record Adjustment to straighten out or challenge potential registration errors.

Last Attend Date (LEFT BLANK EXCEPT):
If you assign an F grade to a student, please complete the "Last Attend Date" field (system required).
The last date a student participates in any academically related activity is his or her "Last Attend Date." This includes submitting assignments, taking exams or quizzes, and attendance at labs, study sessions, or tutorials. The "Last Attend Date" for any student who took the final exam is the date of the final.

Students who stop attending and/or participating before 60 percent of the semester is complete may be required to repay some federal financial aid. Graders may ignore the "Attend Hours" field.

What is an “NF” grade?

The university has approved a new grade: NF or Nonparticipating F. This is to be given to students who would normally receive an F, but who did not participate academically in the course at least one time. Participation includes: attending class or lab, taking a quiz or exam, or turning in an assignment. It also includes asking a question by email or participating in an online class discussion but doesn’t include simply logging onto Canvas. The NF grade will need to be manually entered in Banner as Canvas does not recognize this grade and therefore cannot send it into Banner.

Students who receive an F grade must have participated at least once in the course. A Last Day of Attendance (LDA) should be entered in these cases. The LDA encompasses the forms of participation mentioned above. Both the F and NF grade count as zero in GPA calculations.

Federal regulations require the university to document participation for any student receiving aid. Inadequate documentation costs the university thousands of dollars every semester. Using this new grade should reduce the need for the Financial Aid Office to contact you for documentation. The Financial Aid Office will continue to request documentation for students receiving an F without the Last Date of Attendance entered.

When Grades are Posted/Rolled

Throughout the semester, submitted grades move/roll to Academic History daily (approximately 5 p.m.). All grades submitted prior to this point become available for viewing via the unofficial transcript (approximately 6 p.m.) after this process is completed. Canvas users, please note: If you exporting grades to Banner (publish to SIS), it is recommended that you verify that the grades exported properly by checking the grading roster in Access Banner before they roll to academic history.

All submitted grades are FINALIZED during this process. Please input FINAL grades ONLY. "Unentered Grades" remain unaffected by this process. If a grade is submitted and this ROLL occurs, the grade is now OFFICIAL, and any change requires the Change of Grade.

Grade Submission Deadline

The deadline for instructors to submit final grades is within 96 hours after the final examination for the course, excluding weekends. The last day of final examinations typically occurs on a Friday, so the grading deadline is usually the following Thursday at 5:00 PM. documented grading policy (within the Provost's Office Academic Policies and Procedures Manual). Grading for all terms is governed in accordance with this policy.

If you have missed the deadline or you have made errors in the original grade entry, please contact your department, associate dean, or the Registrar's Office. They can instruct you on how to submit change of grade requests electronically.

Please Note: If a person is unable to adhere to the policies above, please contact your dean, associate dean, or department head for more information.

Electronic Change of Grades

Once a grade has been reported to the Registrar's Office, it can only be changed by completing the electronic change of grade form. The form, which may only be completed by the instructor of record, requires faculty to log in with their A-Number and password. In case the instructor is not available, the department head has authority to change the grade, provided the grade was assigned less than one year ago. This applies also to the grade of Incomplete (I). A change of grade after more than one year requires the approval of the academic dean of the college in which the course is offered. The Registrar’s Office will route the electronic request to the dean when the dean’s authorization is required.

Change of Grade Form (online request)

If you have questions about grading, please contact the Registrar's Office at (435) 797-1116 or Adam Gleed in the Registrar's Office at (435) 797-7095.