This new curriculum encourages young women to pursue post-secondary education.
September 2020 Newsletter
We, at the Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP), have a number of announcements for September:
First, we are pleased to announce the release of a new research and policy brief titled “The Status of Women Leaders in Government – Utah Counties.” Thanks to Dr. April Townsend who was the lead researcher on this project. Some counties are definitely doing better than others in terms of women employees in leadership roles.
Second, we have four free virtual events coming up in September and October (RSVP online). These are sponsored by the Huntsman School of Business and the Utah Education Network:
- Fall Workshop: Getting It Together - Body, Mind, and Spirit Self-Care in Tough Times (Sept. 11, Noon-1:30pm). Presenter: Kathie Debenham.
- Fall Women’s Leadership Forum: Exploring the Intersectionality of Race & Gender (Sept. 18, Noon-1:30pm). Panelists: Sui Lang L. Panoke, Michelle Love-Day, Dr. Christy Glass, and Dr. LaShawn Williams.
- Fall Women’s Leadership Forum: Utah Women in 2020: Challenges, Opportunities, and Next Steps (Oct. 13, Noon-1:15pm). Panelists: Becky Jacobs, Liz Owens, and Robbyn Scribner.
- Fall Workshop: Writing for the Popular Press: A Workshop for Utah Women (Oct. 29, 3:00pm-5:00 pm). Presenters: Holly Richardson and Heather Sundahl
Third, we have a few resources to highlight this month: 1) Find new UWLP curriculum for young women 12+ titled “Knowledge is Power: How to Increase Your Impact Through Education;” designed by Bonnie Mortensen and sponsored by Wheeler Machinery Co.; 2) we have released a new video of our first Fall Women’s Leadership Forum titled “The Gender Wage Gap: Digging Deep into Understanding the Complexity,” and 3) you can find a list of links and contacts to learn more about boards, commissions, and committees you may want to serve on at the state, county, and municipality levels.
Fourth, here are some of our partners’ upcoming events:
- Sept. 22 (6:00pm-7:30pm) - Getting It Together - Body, Mind, and Spirit Self-Care in Tough Times (For Women in Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, Utah State University Extension)
- Sept. 26 (9:00am-1:30pm) - 2020 Celebrating Women Conference (Online, Utah State University Extension, Davis County)
- Oct. 9 (8:30am-4:00pm) - Women in the Money Conference (Utah Financial Empowerment Coalition, Utah Treasurer’s Office)
- Sept/Oct - The Voting Rights 1870, 1920, 1965, 2020 Symposium (Multiple Events, Utah State University, Department of History)
Finally, check out the following editorials and articles from August:
- Utah Ranked Worst State for Women’s Equality Three Years in a Row (The Salt Lake Tribune, Aug. 25, 2020)
- Susan R. Madsen: Utah Still Takes Steps on the Path to Equality (The Salt Lake Tribune, Aug. 24, 2020)
- Do People Trust Women Leaders More in Times of Crisis? (LinkedIn, Aug. 18, 2020)
- New Study Shows Gender Disparity in Utah State Leadership (Deseret News, Aug. 8, 2020)
Join us on the UWLP social media platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. See the community calendar as well. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you want to receive these updates to your own inbox if you received a forwarded email.
Stay safe and healthy this month!
Prof./Dr. Susan R. Madsen
Inaugural Karen Haight Huntsman Endowed Professor of Leadership
Director, Utah Women & Leadership Project
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Utah State University