The October 2021 Newsletter for the Utah Women & Leadership Project highlights new resources released, editorials, and announcements about women's groups and partnerships.
October 2021 Newsletter
I have a number of Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP) announcements for October:
First, we are pleased to announce the release of a new research snapshot titled “Utah Gender Wage Gap: A 2021 Update.” Thanks to my co-researchers Rebecca Winkel, Emily S. Darowski, and Marin Christensen for their fabulous work on this snapshot. Also see this related infographic.
Second, we have three events coming up (RSVP online) sponsored by the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business, USU Extension, and the Utah Education Network (UEN):
- How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job (with globally-known author Sally Helgesen, Oct. 29, Noon-1:15pm, Virtual)
- A UWLP Book Club: Invisible Women—Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez (Nov. 9, Nov. 30, Dec. 14, Noon-1:00pm, Virtual; must attend all three sessions, limited slots)
- Strengthening Your Emotional Health as Women (Nov. 12, Noon-1:15pm, Virtual; panelists are all therapists: Dr. Julie Hanks, Tiffany Roe, and Melanie Davis)
Third, a number of additional UWLP resources are now online:
- PODCAST: Rising Athenas, Male Allies, and the Power of Gender Partnership (in partnership with Utah Public Radio, we bring you the highlights from an April 2021 Women’s Leadership Forum with international experts/authors David Smith and Brad Johnson).
- PODCAST: Women and Finances: What Utahns Need to Know (in partnership with Utah Public Radio, researchers discuss the April 2020 research snapshot on this topic).
- INFOGRAPHIC: Unpaid Care Work Among Utah Women (recently updated)
- HANDOUT: What to Do if You're Being Sexually Harassed in the Workplace
- HANDOUT: Leave Laws Policy Recommendations
Fourth, here are some of our partners’ upcoming events:
- October 6 (6:00pm-8:00pm) - In and Out of Love Writing Workshop (YWCA Utah)
- October 8 (8:30am-4:00pm) - Women in the Money Conference (Utah Financial Empowerment Coalition, Utah Treasurer’s Office)
- October 16 (5:30pm) - Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids - Women's Networking Event (Real Salt Lake)
- October 21 (10:00am-12:00pm) - Demanding Spaces: 4 Ways to Stake your Claim (Salt Lake Community College UWHEN Chapter)
- October 27 (6:00pm-7:00pm) - Entrepreneur Leadership Series: Amy Rees Anderson (The Center for Entrepreneurship, Jon M. Huntsman School of Business)
- November 3 (6:00pm-8:00pm) - Reconnecting to our Abuelitas’ Medicine: Fostering Joy in Healing (YWCA Utah)
- November 3 (6:00pm-7:00pm) - Entrepreneur Leadership Series: Crystal Maggelet (The Center for Entrepreneurship, Jon M. Huntsman School of Business)
- November 4 (8:00am-4:30pm) - Utah's Business Diversity Summit (Salt Lake Chamber)
Finally, check out the following editorials and articles from the last month:
- Weber County GOP Leader Puts Focus on Female Political Involvement (Standard-Examiner, Sep. 20, 2021)
- COVID-19 Impacts on Working Mothers: Caregiver Experiences (LinkedIn, Sep. 17, 2021)
- USU Study: Women's Mental Health Impacted More By COVID-19 Pandemic (The Herald Journal, Sep. 15, 2021)
- Utah Women’s Mental Health Hit Hardest During COVID-19, USU Study Finds (ABC4 News, Sep. 3, 2021)
- Study Shines Light on Effects of COVID-19 on Working Women’s Health (Standard-Examiner, Sep. 2, 2021)
Join us on the UWLP social media platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. See the community calendar as well. Email email@example.com to let us know you want to receive these updates to your own inbox if you received a forwarded email.
Prof./Dr. Susan R. Madsen
Inaugural Karen Haight Huntsman Endowed Professor of Leadership
Director, Utah Women & Leadership Project
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Utah State University