Read our blog or watch the full recording of our second Fall Women’s Leadership Forum about sexism in Utah.
October 2023 Newsletter
Good morning! I have a number of Utah Women & Leadership Project (UWLP) announcements for October:
First, we are pleased to announce the release of a new research and policy brief titled “The Status of Women on Utah State Boards & Commissions: A 2023 Update.” Thanks to my co-authors Natasha Birchard and Brooke Scheffler for their fabulous work on this brief.
Second, join us for a free virtual event (RSVP online) titled, “Understanding Sexism in Utah,” which will be held on Oct. 10 (Noon-1:15pm). Also, see the UWLP Community Calendar for all events in Utah for girls and women.
Third, we have a few UWLP resources to highlight this month:
- Podcast Episodes (with Utah Public Radio): Single Mothers in Utah and A Bolder Way Forward Conversations: Child Sexual Abuse
- Event Video: A Bolder Way Forward for Utah
- Curriculum: College & Leadership: Opening the Door to Your Future (for middle and high school young women; see courses for women here)
Fourth, WalletHub has been publishing rankings about the best and worst states for women’s equality since 2014. The rankings are based on 17 indicators related to workplace environment, education and health, and political empowerment. After publishing a white paper about these rankings in 2021, UWLP partnered with USU’s Analytics Solution Center to develop data dashboards about each of the 17 indicators. The dashboards were recently updated with the most current data for each indicator. We invite you to explore these visualizations!
Fifth, here are some of our partners’ upcoming events:
- October 11 (12:00pm-2:00pm) - 2023 Women Tech Awards (Women Tech Council)
- October 17 (11:00am-1:00pm) - Business Women's Forum 2023: Telling Your Story - Tips and Tricks for Today's Job Market (Business Women’s Forum)
- October 17 (multiple dates) - Fall 2023 Financial Wellness Webinar Series for Women (Empowering Financial Wellness, USU Extension)
- October 25 (8:30am-1:00pm) - SAFE Symposium: Ending Child Sexual Abuse (Saprea, Malouf Foundation, Prevent Child Abuse Utah)
- November 2 (8:00am-3:30pm) - Women & Business Conference 2023 (Salt Lake Chamber)
- November 3 (9:00am-1:00pm) - Polished: Women in Business Conference (UVU Woodbury School of Business)
Finally, check out some key articles and media published this past month:
- A Bolder Way Forward: Utah Organizations Partner to Advance Women’s Equality (Utah Business, Oct. 3, 2023)
- All Moms are Stay-at-Home Moms in Utah, Right? (KUER, Oct. 3, 2023)
- Human Trafficking Among Utah Girls and Women (LinkedIn, Sep. 28, 2023)
- Maternal Mental Health Among Utah Women (LinkedIn, Sep. 14, 2023)
- The Status of Women in Politics (KSL NewsRadio, Dave and Dujanovic, Sep. 12, 2023)
- A Bolder Way Forward (FOX 13 News, Sep. 1, 2023)
Join us on the UWLP social media platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, and YouTube. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you want to receive these updates to your own inbox if you received a forwarded email.
Prof./Dr. Susan R. Madsen
Inaugural Karen Haight Huntsman Endowed Professor of Leadership
Director, Utah Women & Leadership Project
Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
Utah State University