Sexual Misconduct Resource Guide

The following resources are available to students and employees who have experienced sexual misconduct, which includes sexual harassment, sexual assault, relationship violence, and sex-based stalking.

Ensure Your Safety First

Find a place you feel safe from further harm.

If you are in immediate danger, then contact the police. Call 9-1-1 from a cell phone, 9-9-1-1 from a Logan campus phone, or 5-9-1-1 from an Eastern campus phone for emergency help.

Contact a Confidential Advocate

Trained advocates are available through USU's Sexual Assault and Anti-Violence Information (SAAVI) office and through community agencies. Advocates will help you navigate your options, seek medical attention, get a sexual assault forensic exam, receive counseling, file a police report, or report to the university. 

USU Police work directly with an advocate when they receive a report of sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking. 

Find Confidential Counseling

USU's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Eastern Student Counseling provide confidential mental health services and same-day crisis appointments. Many sexual misconduct counseling appointment requests are referred to SAAVI to decrease wait time.

Other community-based counseling resources are available throughout the state, including the SafeUT app.

Get Medical Attention

If you experienced a sexual assault or relationship violence, a medical professional can treat injuries, even those you may not be able to see, including sexually transmitted infections. Consider seeing a medical professional right away to take care of your health. 

For students on the Logan campus, contact the USU Student Health and Wellness Center at 435-797-1660.

Students at USU Eastern may call Danielle Howa-Pendergrass at 435-637-0313 or visit to schedule an appointment.

Students at other Statewide Campuses should visit a local health care provider.

Preserve Evidence

After a sexual assault, DNA evidence can be collected from your body, clothing, and other personal belongings. A sexual assault forensic exam, often called a “SAFE exam”, ensures you receive important medical attention and can preserve possible DNA evidence. A forensic exam is ideal within 72 hours after the assault.

In order to preserve evidence, try not to bathe, shower, use the restroom, change your clothes, comb your hair, or clean up. If you receive a sexual assault forensic exam, certain information must be given to police according to Utah law, but you are not required to pursue a police investigation. You will also be provided with treatment for injuries.

If you are a Logan campus student or employee, go directly to Cache Valley Hospital to receive care from a certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.

If you are not a Logan campus student or employee, review the Community Resources map below to learn where you can get a sexual assault forensic exam.

Request Supportive Measures

Whether or not you want to pursue the Office of Equity grievance process, you may receive supportive measures, such as academic accommodations or changes to on-campus housing, class, or work schedules. You may request supportive measures by working with the Supportive Measures Specialists in the Office of Equity.

  • If you are located at the Logan, Blanding, or Statewide campuses, you can schedule an intake with Rachel Bernardo.
  • If you are located at the Eastern campus, you can schedule an intake with Katie Freeman.

Report the Incident to USU

Any USU student or employee may report sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault, relationship violence, or sex-based stalking) to the USU Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equity. Reports can be filed online at

Your information will only be shared with other USU employees in order to investigate an incident or provide supportive measures.

You can have a process advisor or support person help you through the Office of Equity grievance process.

USU's Amnesty Policy excuses students who report sexual misconduct from facing discipline for a violation of the student code related to drug and alcohol use. The health and safety of our community is our primary concern, and we want to remove barriers to reporting sexual misconduct to USU's Title IX Coordinator. For example, if you witness or experience a sexual assault and report it to the USU Title IX Coordinator, you will not get in trouble for a student code violation such as underage drinking or having alcohol on campus.

Report to Police

Sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking can be reported to your local law enforcement agency.

If an incident occurred on the Logan or Eastern campuses, you may report to USU Police. USU Police forward all reports of sexual misconduct to USU's Title IX Coordinator. You can pursue a police investigation and the university's grievance process at the same time.

Confidential Resources

  • USU Sexual Assault and Anti-Violence Information (SAAVI) Office
    435-797-7273 |

  • USU Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): Identify your campus affiliation to be routed to the correct counselor.
    435-797-1012 |
  • Student Counseling (USU Eastern)
    435-613-5355 |
  • Health & Wellness Center (Logan campus)
    435-797-1660 |

Reporting Resources

State & National Resources

Community Resources Near You 

To find a resource near you, click on the arrow in the upper left corner of the map. Resources include sexual assault and relationship violence crisis centers, advocacy services, shelters, and where to get a sexual assault forensic exam in your area.

Other Resources

Legal Assistance

Victims of relationship violence, stalking, and sexual assault may seek a protective order through the courts. Learn more about protective orders.

  • Utah Legal Services provides free legal help in non-criminal cases. 
  • Legal clinics throughout the state provide general legal information and brief legal advice.

Visa and Immigration Assistance

These organizations in Utah provide assistance with immigration status:

Financial Aid

If you have concerns about financial aid, contact the Financial Aid office. You may also get assistance by working with the Supportive Measures Specialist in the Office of Equity.

USU Financial Aid office: 435-797-0173 | TSC 106, Logan