First-Year and Transfer Students
Welcome to USU
Congratulations on your decision to attend Utah State University.
Throughout your experience at USU, the Veterans Resource Office will advise and assist you with your VA benefits. This checklist is for first-time students at USU, including incoming first-year and transfer students.
To begin using your GI Bill® education benefits at USU, please follow the steps below.
First-Time Student Checklist
Complete the USU Admissions Process
- Make sure you have successfully applied for and been admitted to USU.
- Get started with the Prospective Student Checklist.
Apply for VA Education Benefits
- Find your education benefits form on the application page under “How do I apply?”
- Sign in to your VA account or create an account.
- Complete the education benefits form.
- The VA typically processes claims within 30 days. The VA will notify you of its decision by mail.
- You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) if your claim is approved.
- Learn more with the Prospective Student Checklist.
Start a File with the Veterans Resource Office
Complete Additional Forms
- Educational Benefit Student Data Sheet — Required for all benefits. Complete all the demographic information on this form needed to start your file with the VA. Only submit this form once unless your information changes.
- Promissory Note — Required for Post-9/11, Vocational Rehab, and tuition assistance benefits. This is an agreement between you and USU ensuring that any balance not covered by the VA is the student’s responsibility.
- Residency Application — Recommended for out-of-state students. Learn more about gaining residency for tuition purposes and the requirements for military exemptions.
- Military Credit Articulation — You may be granted credit for military training and service once you are enrolled at USU.
- Yellow Ribbon Program Application — Available for Post-9/11 benefits to help pay for higher out-of-state or graduate school tuition and fees that the Post-9/11 GI Bill® does not cover. Learn more about program benefits and eligibility requirements.
- Change Place of Training Request — Required for transfer students attending USU for the first time from a previous institution. Learn more about the requirements for changing your GI Bill® school.
- This is the Class Certification/Veterans Progress Form that is required by VA for each semester you want to use your education benefits. Complete this form after registering for classes. We are unable to certify your benefits without this form.
We're Here to Help
Contact the Veterans Resource Office
Taggart Student Center 225
0106 Old Main Hill, Logan UT 84332
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. MST
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at benefits.va.gov/gibill.