Interdisciplinary Studies: BS, BA
The Interdisciplinary Studies major is intended to serve the needs of students who want to design a unique individualized academic program, obtain a broadly-based education, and diversify their professional potential. The degree is not intended to replace existing majors or curricula. Rather, it is designed to provide the small number of students whose degree needs cannot be met with other majors with a program which is less restrictive and more responsive to their individual plans and interests.
The Interdisciplinary Studies major is available through the following six colleges: Agriculture; Caine College of the Arts; Education and Human Services; Natural Resources; Science; and the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Students can pursue a BA or BS degree.
Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.
Students may apply for admission to the Interdisciplinary Studies major after completing 45 credits with a minimum GPA of 2.0, submitting an Application for Interdisciplinary Studies, and receiving approval for the Application.
Transfer students from other institutions or from other USU majors need to complete a minimum of 45 credits, achieve the required GPA, and have an approved Application for Interdisciplinary Studies for admission to this major in good standing.
Students who wish to pursue the degree must submit a letter of application containing the following information:
- A clear statement of the student’s educational objectives.
- A proposed program of study including specific courses and listing the faculty member the student proposes to work with on the final thesis or project.
- A brief statement explaining why the student feels the proposed program is worthy of a college degree.
A current unofficial transcript must be attached to the application. The application should be discussed with and reviewed by the student’s major advisor.
- Interdisciplinary Studies (College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences) - BA, BS
- Interdisciplinary Studies (Caine College of the Arts) - BA, BS
- Interdisciplinary Studies (EEJ College of Education and HS) - BA, BS
- Interdisciplinary Studies (College of Humanities and Social Sciences) - BA, BS
- Interdisciplinary Studies (S.J. and Jessie E. Quinney College of Natural Resources) - BA, BS
- Interdisciplinary Studies (College of Science) - BA, BS
Labs, Centers, Research
With the second oldest undergraduate research program in the nation, USU offers students a wide range of opportunities to gain hands-on research experience. USU’s Honors Program prepares students for excellent graduate programs by helping them build relationships with professors, participate in research projects, take smaller, more intensive classes, and develop leadership skills.
Office: LIB 239
Phone: (435) 797-3394
- Interdisciplinary Studies Program
- College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences
- Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Science
- S.J. & Jessie E. Quinney College of Natural Resources
- Caine College of the Arts