Here we've provided a list of our most frequently asked questions!


You will know how much you owe for tuition and fees once you have finished registering before Aggie Orientation. You are not required to pay them at Aggie Orientation, however. There are tuition and fee payment deadlines for each semester. The University does not send you a bill. You will learn how to access your account and pay your tuition and fees while you are at Aggie Orientation. More information can be found at https://www.usu.edu/registrar/registration/payment/.

The FAFSA is submitted through the federal government. Visit https://www.usu.edu/financial-support/ for detailed federal aid information, information about scholarships, and to learn more about the Student Money Management Center. You can also give the Student Financial Support office a call at (435) 797-0173.

A Utah resident will usually pay about $22,116 per year at Utah State. For more detailed information visit: https://www.usu.edu/registrar/tuition/.

The online job board is available at Aggie Handshake. This contains a list of both on-campus and off-campus job opportunities. Most students start applying for jobs a month or two before the semester starts, but jobs open all the time so it's important to keep checking back.

Utah State employs over 6,500 people and most of these employees are students.

The Utah State Campus Store has all books for classes offered at Utah State. Once you have your schedule of classes, go to https://my.usu.edu/ and select the "My Course Booklist" on the left side. This site allows you to shop for your needed textbooks and purchase them in advance. Campus Store employees will pull your books aside, (you can specify if you want new or used books) and once you arrive on campus, you pick up your books and you are on your way! Textbooks are returnable for a full refund until the first Friday of the semester (as long as you haven't used them), so if you drop a class you have the option to return it!

Students are also welcome to look for their books through other options. The best way to go about this is to search the ISBN online and then look through your options. You can do e-books, rent, buy used, buy new, etc. It really depends on what your preference is. Just know that by renting, you may not have it for the regular semester dates--it is determined by the company that you rent from. If you're taking 7-week courses, you can find shorter renting periods. You will be responsible to get them returned, often they won't send very many reminders and you don't want to be charged a late fee. The benefit of going through the Campus Store is that you're guaranteed to find everything you need, they get all the books for you, and it's easily accessible. However, if you search online, sometimes you can find a better price--but sometimes the better price is the Campus Store, it depends on the course. 

Contact the housing office at (435)-797-3113 for move-in dates for your semester. There are lists at the bottom of the University Housing website that also include packing lists. These lists include move-in information for you. If you are moving in Spring, visit https://www.usu.edu/housing/rates/#dates2.

If you are living on campus you will have the opportunity to purchase a parking permit for your specified parking lot after you have signed up for housing through the website below. If you are living off-campus, there are a few shuttle routes that serve parking areas and local apartment complex areas. Most students purchase an economy permit and park in the stadium parking lot. For details go to: http://parking.usu.edu/.

Most students are able to commute to campus using the Aggie Shuttle, the CVTD fare-free bus system, bike, and good old fashioned walking.  Find out about all of your options at usu.edu/commuter.

You will get your I.D. card at Aggie Orientation. If you are doing Aggie Orientation online, you will receive your I.D. card when you get to campus. Go to the I.D. Card office located in TSC 212 to pick up your I.D.

You can submit a photo for your I.D. card ahead of time or take a picture when you arrive to pick it up.

There are 11 open access computer labs on campus with up-to-date technology. Your student I.D. card will allow you to access the labs. You also have 30 free laser printouts per semester in the labs (these do not roll over to the next semester). All on-campus residence halls are equipped with an Ethernet port and the campus is wireless enabled, so if you do have a computer you will have high-speed internet access.

The Campus Store offers excellent educational prices on computers and accessories.

Along with this question, many students wonder if a printer is necessary to bring with them. While this is optional, it isn't a necessary item. More likely than not, your free printouts should cover any printing that you'll need for the semester. With the use of Canvas now, hard-copies aren't needed as much. However, with that being said, some students may prefer hard-copies. If that's the case, a printer might be worth considering just for the convenience of it. 

Just log back into the orientation reservation system and select the new date that you need. You can also use this to switch from online to in-person. 

If you have any questions or troubles just call us at 435-797-0283 or email orientation@usu.edu


Every major has a specific academic advisor. If you have not yet decided on a major, there are exploratory advisors located within the Exploratory Advising Center who are ready to help you discuss your areas of interest and general education options. Contact information for future appointments with specific advisors is on the corresponding major First Semester Registration Guide. You can also browse the list of academic advisors at advising.usu.edu.

You won't have an advising appointment at Aggie Orientation. Students will have registered for classes before they attend Aggie Orientation. The First Semester Registration Guides outline when your advisor is available to answer any questions you might have and give you instructions on how to set up an appointment.

Utah State offers excellent career exploration opportunities. USU 1220, Career and Life Planning, is a great class to take. The Career Services office can help you determine your areas of interest. For more information visit http://www.usu.edu/career/. It is a also a good idea to take a general education class in your area of interest to see if you enjoy the subject.

You will want to select a major before you have earned 60 credits (usually after sophomore year).

For incoming students, officially changing your major before you start school requires that you contact the Admission's Office. If you wish to speak to the academic advisor of a major different from your listed major, view the corresponding First Semester Registration guide. Before your classes begin, email admit@usu.edu to change your major. Once school starts you will need to meet with the academic advisor of your desired major to change/switch into that degree.

Current USU students must meet with an academic advisor to change their major.


You will be able to register yourself after completing orientation module two, "Registration". You will register before you attend Aggie Orientation. By viewing the First Semester Registration Guides, you will select a few classes that have been specified in advance by your academic advisor. To see registration dates and times, go to https://catalog.usu.edu/ and view calendars.

Aggie Orientation dates are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. You will be notified of your Aggie Orientation date via e-mail after you sign up for Aggie Orientation. We realize that sometimes there are circumstances that require you to attend on a certain day. Please give us a call and we will discuss the available Aggie Orientation options.

You need 120 credits to graduate from Utah State University. In order to graduate in eight semesters you will need to average 15 credits per semester, or 30 credits per academic year. It is recommended that you register and complete 15 credits per semester. If you are taking 12 credits, you are considered a full-time student by university standards. First-semester students generally take between 12-15 credits. Even though this means you will only be in class about 12-15 hours per week, you will need plenty of time to do homework.

Some students are able to demonstrate a proficiency in certain subjects without taking the actual class. Langauge profiency testing is also avalible for foreign languages. For more information about CLEP testing visit https://www.usu.edu/registrar/transfer/credit-by-exam or go to https://career-services.usu.edu/testing/exams-for-credit.

You can view the AP lists on the USU Catalog.

Every incoming student has access to the ALEKS math system for free. ALEKS is the software you will use to place into a math class, and brush up on math skills you lack. You can take up to five proctored exams for placement purposes, and you can work through customized learning modules for up to six months so you can place higher in math, or learn some basic skills so your math class isn’t as difficult once you get into it. Go to https://www.usu.edu/mathprep/aleks-ppl and take a proctored math exam to determine where you can place in math. After that, feel free to study in ALEKS before the semester begins, and take additional placement exams if you think you can place higher. This website has information about how to take a proctored exam in Logan, throughout Utah, and at an out-of-state location.
Some students with math ACT/SAT scores, AP scores, or college-credit math grades earned after August 1, 2022 are able to automatically place into a math class because they meet the pre-requisite for the course. If you think you can automatically qualify for a math class, check your test scores in banner by clicking “Test Scores” in your student record.

Math prerequisites typically only last 1 year, math prerequisites for the Fall 2023 semester are valid if they were earned after August 1, 2022.

For course descriptions and prerequisite information, see the University Catalog at https://catalog.usu.edu and click on “Course Numbers and Descriptions.” If you need a temporary prerequisite override on a class because you have test scores or credits that are not yet in Banner, go to www.usu.edu/orientation/prereq to request a temporary override, and allow for up to 3-4 business days for the request to be processed. Once processed, the Registrar’s office will reach out to you. Be sure your scores are in Banner by August 1, 2023 to avoid being dropped from the class.

An important clarification is that by sending USU your high school transcripts, USU only receives your high school grades for admission purposes. If you were enrolled in any concurrent enrollment (CE) courses, these aren't transferred to USU via your high school transcripts. What you'll need to do is get a transcript sent in from whatever institution you took your credits from (i.e. Weber State University, Salt Lake Community College, etc.). The best way to do is to use https://getmytranscripts.com/. It will electronically deliver your transcripts to USU. It typically costs around $5.00 to do so. If for whatever reason your institution does not use that site, contact your institution about what the best way is to get your credits transferred to USU.

There are some options for you to take ALEKS even if you are not able to get to a USU campus. If you are out of state, visit https://www.usu.edu/mathprep/aleks-ppl for instructions on setting up a local proctor. Contact the Math & Stat Advising Office at 435-797-0268 or math.advising@usu.edu with any questions.


University Connections (USU 1010) is a two-credit academic course designed to ease your transition to Utah State by helping you understand the purpose of higher education and how you can intentionally take advantage of the many opportunities and challenges available to you as a college student.

  • Find your why
  • Understand your responsibilities and opportunities
  • Develop a mindset of success and belonging
  • Meet your mentors

The course provides opportunities to explore the university environment, develop academic connections, and discover ways to broaden your educational experience. Students who attend Connections can move into their residence hall room early and have a chance to acclimate to the environment before the rigors of the semester begin. There are many social opportunities so many students meet their best friends while at Connections. Check out our registration videos to learn more about USU 1010 Connections, why you should attend, and how to register for the course.

A few students choose to bring a guest to Aggie Orientation that is not a parent or guardian. These guests are welcome and typically attend the parent orientation program. We cap the number of students at each Aggie Orientation day so we can provide optimal attention and service. Guests are asked not to attend the student program.

Once you register for your first class your official student email will be created. This will be where all official university communication gets sent and it cannot be forwarded to another email address (for security purposes).

Learn more about your student email, including the steps on how to access it once it is created, by visiting https://it.usu.edu/studentemail.

Once you pay your student fees, you can attend NCAA regular season home games at no extra cost! Simply show your student I.D. at the door to gain access to these sporting events. Some club sports, such as men's hockey, require all attendees to purchase tickets; students can receive a discount on these tickets by showing their student ID. If you want to buy tickets for family members or other non-Utah State students you may buy them online at http://utahstateaggies.com/.

After paying student fees, you can start using your student ID card to access things like USU recreation centers (ARC, Fieldhouse, HPER), computer labs, Caine College of the Arts productions/events, and much more beginning the week before the semester starts.