UMAC: Trademark Licensing

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a licensee?

A licensee is a person or organization that has been granted legal right by Utah State University under a trademark license agreement to use university trademarks.

What is a trademark license agreement?

A trademark license agreement is the legal document (contract) that governs the relationship between the party producing/selling branded goods (licensee) that bear Utah State University’s trademarks/logos and the university. A trademark license must be in place before any licensed products are manufactured, marketed, or sold.

Why use a licensed vendor?

Utah State preserves its trademarks through correct use consistent with the University’s Brand Standards. This is the responsibility of every member of the university community, as well as all university licensees.

Under the Trademark Licensing Program, all artwork must be submitted to Trademark Licensing for approval prior to production. This approval process ensures the university’s brand standards are consistently used and the representations portrayed on the branded goods accurately reflect the image of the university.

Other protections that are afforded to the university through licensing include: assurances that goods are produced in factories that institute fair labor standards; licensees have appropriate insurance coverage; clarifications relating to royalties/fees payable, etc.

Utah State University has the responsibility under Federal and State law to ensure outside entities receiving university permission in the form of a trademark license are able to use university’s trademarks. Part of this responsibility includes pursuing entities and individuals who may attempt to infringe upon Utah State University trademarks.

How do I know if the vendor I am working with has a license with the university?

You can find a complete list of university approved licensees on If the company you are working with is not listed, it is not licensed to produce branded goods for Utah State University.

If the company or organization is interested in becoming a licensee, information on obtaining a license can be found on our trademark licensing site.

How do I know if a product is officially licensed by the university?

Look for the officially licensed collegiate product label or hologram. This label assures the merchandise has been approved by the university for resale purposes.

For more information about the CLC hologram program, please go to Logos on Demand.

My college/department has a specific program name we would like to protect. How do we secure the proper protection?

First, brainstorm a unique design or expression for your product or service. The more unique the trademark, the stronger it will be. A design or expression that is merely descriptive of the good or service, overly general, or already used is usually difficult to protect.

Second, once you have some ideas, perform a search to see if others are already using it (start with a simple Google search). Search the Utah Trademark database and the U.S. Patent and Trademark database for a more in-depth investigation (see the embedded links below).

Third, present your trademark proposal to University Marketing & Communications, Trademark Licensing. UMAC will evaluate your proposal and provide feedback. UMAC has designers and trademark specialists who can help you through the proceeding steps, as well. To maximize the value and impact of a trademark, a full marketing plan and style guide should also be developed. At this point (or later when the product or service is more established), the department, Trademark Licensing, and the legal counsel can discuss and evaluate the benefits of registering the trademark.

Google Search
State of Utah Trademark Manager Search
U.S. Patent & Trademark Search

Can an outside entity, business, or corporation use Utah State’s logos or trademarks as part of their name or as a design?

The university does not allow its marks to be used for commercial or promotional advertising purposes without prior approval; this approval is granted on a case-by-case basis.

The University’s name and/or marks may not be used in any way that could state or imply an endorsement. 

For more information on this subject, please contact University Marketing & Communications, Trademark Licensing Director Heidi Adams at or 435-797-0587.

 What is Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC)?

Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) is the licensing representative/agent for Utah State University. As the university’s representative, CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing licensing applications, collection, and distribution of royalty payments, enforcing trademarks, and pursuing new market opportunities for the university.

Collegiate Licensing Company
1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309
Phone: 770.956.0520
Fax: 770.955.4491

I want to have a graduation or wedding cake decorated with a Utah State University logo. Do I need permission?

Yes. You can request permission to have university logos added to a cake by filling out the cake request form.

I have contracted with an outside entity for a university service, and they would like to place the university logos on their site. How do I do this?

We do not allow outside entities to use the university logos or trademarks unless a trademark license is included in the service agreement.

The trademark license will govern allowed trademark uses, duration of the logo use, appropriate approvals, etc.

If you need assistance with a trademark license for a service contract, please contact University Marketing & Communications, Trademark Licensing Director, Heidi Adams at or (435) 797-0587.