Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell grant is money from the federal government that you do not need to repay.  They are awarded to eligible undergraduate students who display financial need.

How Do I Apply?

To apply, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at FAFSA.gov

FAFSA applications become available October 1st for the following school year.  Awarding financial aid starts in late April.

Am I Eligible?

The U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information you report on your FAFSA.  This formula produces your Expected Family Contribution number (EFC) which determines if you are eligible to receive any or all of the Pell grant.  Students must also meet all general eligibility requirements.

Pell Grant Eligibility Requirements

How Much Money Can I Receive?

How much money you can receive from the Pell grant is determined by:

  • Your EFC
  • The cost of attendance determined by your school
  • Your status as a full or part-time student
  • Your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less

The maximum award of the Pell grant changes on a yearly basis depending on the federal governement.

Current Pell Amount

Dropping or adding classes may also affect the amount of the Pell grant you receive during the first three weeks of the semester.  Grants may also be reduced during the term if you fail or drop a class with no recorded participation.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

A federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduate students who have demonstrate exceptional financial need; they have the lowest EFCs and are receiving the Pell grant.  Similar to the Pell grant, the supplemental grant does not need to be paid back.

What is the difference between the FSEOG and the Pell Grant?

The U.S. Department of Education guarantees that each participating school will receive enough money to pay the federal Pell grant for each eligible student.  There is no guarantee that every eligible student will receive the FSEOG.  Students are paid based on availability of funds.

How Do I Apply?

You must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  No other paperwork is necessary.  Because of the limited nature of these funds, the key to receiving this grant is to apply for FAFSA as early as you can.

Federal TEACH Grants

A Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is different from other federal student grants because it requires you to take certain kinds of classes in order to get the grant, and then do a certain kind of job to keep the grant from turning into a loan.

More About the TEACH Grant

If TEACH grant recipients do not fulfill their teaching obligations they must repay the grant as if it was an unsubsidized federal Direct loan including all accrued interest.

Am I Eligible?

Undergraduate students must have an overall GPA of 3.25 or score in the 75th percentile on at least one admissions test.  GPA requirements do not apply to graduate students who are currently teachers or who are retiring and have expertise in a subject where there is a shortage of teachers.  Graduate students completing a high-quality teacher certification, like Teach for America, are also eligible for this program.

How Do I Apply?

  1. Complete FAFSA application on fafsa.gov
  2. Contact the USU Financial Aid office to offer a federal TEACH grant on your account
  3. Complete the TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling online
  4. Accept the TEACH grant on my.usu.edu
  5. Sign the TEACH Grant Agreement To Serve or Repay (Agreement) online

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

Under this scholarship, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year.

Qualifications for this scholarship:

  • Be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC
  • Be less than 24 years of age OR enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent or guardian's death
If you believe you meet this qualifications, please contact our office.