The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is dedicated to providing the safest possible learning, living, and working environment for members of our university community and their families. As USU is an open campus, we provide the same focus to all those that visit our beautiful campuses. We do this through the coordinated efforts of three branches: USU Police, Emergency Management, and Fire Marshal.
As times change, so too do the threats that face us as a community. Addressing these threats requires that everyone take ownership for overall safety. The Department of Public Safety provides education and resources so we all can understand potential risks and be prepared and empowered to deal with them. If you see something that is wrong or not in keeping with university standards of conduct, please say something.
Our department has a commitment to transparency and open communication with those we serve. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns, or needs, no matter how large or small. We look forward to hearing from you!
USU Department of Public Safety
Department of Public Safety
To protect and serve students, faculty, and staff, by creating an environment where the entire campus community embraces their individual responsibility for safety.
Utah State University Department of Public Safety supports the mission of the University through ensuring a safe and secure environment while improving the quality of life for all those living, learning, and working within our campus community through education, prevention and collaboration.
- Integrity: We hold all public safety personnel to the highest ethical standards at all times.
- Service: We place the needs of our campus community above our own at all times and strive to go the extra mile when providing service.
- Accountability and Trust: We accept full responsibility for our actions. We value trust and respect, which must be earned.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We value diversity and are dedicated to respecting differences and inclusion to create a safe and welcoming environment.
- Excellence and Professionalism: We continually exceed the expectations of our community through a dedication to professionalism and excellence.
- Prevent Harm Against Persons: We will prevent harm by identifying threats and vulnerabilities through the implementation of risk reduction strategies.
- Protect Assets: We will be vigilant in preventing loss and damage to infrastructure as well as personal and intellectual property.
- Ensure Compliance: We will ensure policies, practices, and operations meet the highest ethical and equitable standards and requirements.
- Improve Quality of Life: We will proactively engage with our community while providing responsive, professional, and compassionate service.
- Organizational Development: We will invest in the professional development of DPS personnel and continuously work to improve our effectiveness.
- Provide excellence in service.
- Protect life and safety.
- Prevent crime and reduce the fear of being a victim.
- Bring offenders to justice.
- Maintain public accountability through complete transparency and understanding.
- Educate and empower our Aggie community toward collaborative, community-oriented policing and public safety practices.
- Utilize student security as a force multiplier through high-visibility, proactive safety patrols.
- Provide 24/7 university safety communications center in partnership with Cache County 911 services.
- Administer, maintain, and report annual Clery compliance mandates.
- Provide the safest learning, living, and working environment possible for all students, employees, and visitors.
- Encourage safe working practices and living habits to reduce the threat of injury, death, and loss of property due to fire.
- Perform reviews on all new construction and remodels to ensure adherence to all adopted fire and building codes.
- Conduct building assessments and prepare recommendations for the correction of fire and life safety hazards, and work with USU Facilities and Housing to implement.
- Provide relevant fire and life safety education to students, faculty, and staff.
- Assist in the development of appropriate fire protection standards and guidelines.
- Maintain a liaison with all local and state authorities concerned with fire protection.
- Provide timely and accurate information and support to local first responders.
- Create a culture of preparedness and resilience among faculty, staff, and students.
- Involve a variety of external stakeholders to leverage the university’s existing resources and provide additional areas of expertise and assets to the overall emergency management program.
- Build a disaster-resilient community, starting with the individual and ultimately throughout the entire university.
- Provide direct support to departments and individuals on emergency planning, coordination, and information management.
- Be a resource and provide emergency preparedness training to faculty, staff, and students.
- Ensure timely warnings of emergencies impacting the immediate health and safety of the USU system.