USU Police Frequently Asked Questions

If you can't find the answer to your question, please contact us directly at 435-797-1939.

How safe is the Utah State University campus?

Although crime does occur on our campus, when compared to similar institutions, Utah State University has a very low crime rate. You can reduce your chances of becoming a victim of a crime by following the our Crime Prevention Tips. You are also encouraged to review USU's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for campus crime statistics and information about crime prevention at USU.

What should I do if I'm a victim of a crime?

If it is an emergency or a crime is in progress, call 9-1-1. For all non-emergency calls, call the USU Police Department at 435-797-1939 to make a report. Make the call as soon as possible after discovering the crime. You may also "chat" with Public Safety Dispatch through the Utah State Safe app.

Is there a way I can get an safety escort to my car or apartment on campus?

Yes, we offer a free safety escort service to and from parking lots and buildings on campus. The escort is available to anyone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 435-797-1939 for more information. You may also use the "Virtual Walkhome" tool in the Utah State Safe app.

What authority do USU Police have?

Utah State University police officers are given peace officer authority by state statute. They attend the same academies and have the same authority as any police officer in the state.

Is there a lost and found?

All lost and found property is turned over to USU Surplus (further information).

Who do I call if I need to be let into a building or room after hours?

During regular weekday business hours (Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), call Facilities Customer Service at 435-797-3535. After hours, on weekends, or on holidays, you may call police dispatch at 435-797-1939. USU Police CANNOT give authorization to be in or remain in a building or classroom after hours. You must get prior authorization from the appropriate department head, who must fax a memo to 435-797-3756. Picture ID is required at the time of the let-in.

What should I do if I locked my keys in my car?

USU Police offer a free service to get you into your car if you have locked your keys inside. Please call 435-797-1939. We also provide jump starts when your car battery dies. Lock-outs and jump starts can only be done on campus property.

Where do I go to pick up keys?

The Key Office is located at the Facilities building. Call 435-797-3535 for more information.

How do I get a background check?

USU Police does not provide background checks, but we do provide fingerprinting services associated with background checks. For more information, visit the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification website.