Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. How much you earn depends on your skills and experience and the number of hours you work (usually a maximum of 20/week). Often Work-Study employment provides the student with the opportunity of working in a field related to their major.

How do I apply for Work-Study?

You must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).Work-study funds are usually limited to early applicants with significant need.  Students must have marked yes on the FASFA that they were interested in work-study.  See the work-study time line posted  on the Career Service website. If you are eligible for work-study and want to apply you will need to:

    • Watch for an email from Career Services at the first of March.  All Eligible students will get an application attached to the email to fill out and send back.
    • Once you are awarded you will need to accept your award on MyUSU.
    • Locate the job you would like to apply for in Career AGGIE.
    • Submit your resume or application to the employer to apply for the job.
    • If you are hired your employer will print a Work-Study Agreement to sign.
    • Federal work-study comes with additional Terms & Conditions.
    • Requires enrollment of 6 credit hours.
    • Timeline suggestions for Work Study application.

Study Abroad

Study abroad students are also eligible for all standard financial aid awards listed on this page including Federal Direct PLUS and private education loans if:

  • They are fully admitted to USU in a degree seeking program.
  • They are enrolled in an eligible USU Study Abroad Program.
  • They are making satisfactory academic progress in their degree program.
  • They understand that their study abroad program credits must be applied (as electives or otherwise) towards their graduation program.

There are no special paperwork requirements to apply your USU Federal Financial Aid to a USU Study Abroad Program. However you must coordinate your financial aid with the USU Study Abroad office and they may require additional paperwork to do so. If you have any questions about using financial aid while on study abroad, please visit with your Financial Aid Counselor. Please note that summer financial aid may be limited for study-abroad programs if a financial aid recipient used their financial aid while attending full-time fall and spring semester.