Utah Residency Status
Are you a resident of Utah?Yes, I am a resident of Utah
Alumni Legacy Nonresident WaiverThe Legacy Nonresident Waiver may be awarded to undergraduate nonresidents who have at least one parent or grandparent who graduated from Utah State University.
- Apply to USU as a first-time undergraduate student.
- Submit an online application for the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver before the deadline:
- Spring Semester: October 1
- Fall Semester: August 1
- Only new incoming students are eligible to apply.
- Have at least one parent or grandparent who earned an associate degree or higher from Utah State University.
- Meet general scholarship eligibility requirements.
- A Legacy Waiver may replace academic/merit scholarships that are offered by the Admissions Office. In most cases, the Legacy Waiver cannot be combined with academic scholarships.
As part of your application you will select one of the following two options. Prior to the first day of the semester to which you are applying, you may switch between the two options by emailing email@example.com. After the start of the semester, a scholarship appeal is required.
Option 1: Receive a Legacy Waiver for 1 year, allowing you to pay resident tuition. The time on the Legacy Waiver will count towards the time requirement to establish Utah residency. This is a 1 year waiver and cannot be renewed. To continue paying resident tuition a second year, Utah residency must be established.
See full terms and conditions for Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver 1.
Option 2: Receive a Legacy Waiver for 4 years. While on this Legacy Waiver, a student will be required to pay resident tuition + $1,000 per semester (or $2,000 per year, in addition to resident tuition). While on this waiver, students are not allowed to establish Utah residency.
See full terms and conditions for Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver 2.
- Current USU students who received the Legacy Waiver for Fall 2018 or prior semesters are not allowed to establish Utah residency. Additionally, any students using Legacy Waiver Option 2 cannot use time spent on that waiver towards establishing Utah residency.
- International students are eligible for Option 2 only and require a separate online application.
- Time spent in Utah on the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver Option 1 MAY be counted towards establishing Utah residency. If you would like to discuss other options, please contact the USU Residency Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver was implemented July 1, 2009 and made possible by the signing of House Bill 364. The addition of grandparents to the waiver was implemented July 1, 2013 and made possible by the signing of Senate Bill 51. House Bill 349 was implemented July 1, 2018 and allows an option for establishing Utah residency.
- Other requirements may apply. For further scholarship information, please contact the USU Admissions Office at 800.488.8108 or visit us in person at the Taggart Student Center, Room 102.