Eldon J. Gardner Teacher of the Year 2019
The Eldon J. Gardner Teacher of the Year award is given each year to recognize and promote excellence in teaching. Other scholarly activity such as research and publication records may be considered in the selection process, but the main emphasis is on teaching excellence as judged by faculty and students.
Each dean will appoint a committee comprised of students, faculty, and administrative representation to select an outstanding teacher from the college. From the eight college nominees, the Faculty Evaluation Committee will select the Eldon J. Gardner Teacher of the Year. The award recipient will be announced at the annual Robins Awards Ceremony held in April 2019 and recognized at the Provost's Commencement Dinner and the Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony. The award recipient receives a $2,000 award, and the college nominees receive a $1,000 award.
Criteria for selection of nominees include:
- Excellence in teaching for more than three years as supported by standard university course evaluations and letters from peers,
- Other evidence of teaching excellence in addition to course evaluations and letters from peers,
- Responsibility for a minimum six-credit annual teaching assignment including at least one undergraduate course, and
- Evidence of creative teaching innovation.
Because so many individuals are potentially deserving of the Eldon J. Gardner Teacher of the Year award, past recipients are not considered.
Submission Deadline: Friday, February 8, 2019
The following required nomination materials must be prepared with 12 pt. font and not exceed 40 pages:
- A two-page statement from the candidate summarizing his or her teaching philosophy and objectives and explaining how his or her pedagogy is designed to meet those objectives.
- A summary of evaluation scores and enrollments for courses taught the last three years. Summary information is most efficiently presented as a table, with course, year. enrollment, raw/adjusted summary scores, and percentile (if using IDEA form) department, college, and comparative values (if available).
- Letters of support from students (maximum of 10).
- A letter of nomination from the department head describing the candidate's teaching responsibilities and influence on teaching in the department.
- A short CV that emphasizes teaching roles (including publications that relate to pedagogy).
- At least one external (peer or supervisor) observation of the teaching.
- A sample syllabus or excerpts from a syllabus.
- A short biography (2 paragraphs maximum).
- A half page Commencement Program citation (prepared by the college public relations specialist) will not count toward the 40-page limit.
- A professional portrait.
Submit materials in PDF format via electronic form.
For more information on the Eldon J. Gardner Teacher of the Year Award, please contact:
Phone: (435) 797-0121