Skip to main content

Role of the Accessibility Consultant

The primary role of the Accessibility Consultant is to work with students, faculty, and staff to ensure that the university is accessible to individuals with disabilities. Whenever possible equal access will be achieved by implementing principles of Universal Design and Universal Design for Learning. When barriers still exist students should request reasonable accommodations through their Accessibility Consultant.

Each student will be assigned to an Accessibility Consultant when he/she first enters the program but, upon request, a student may change to another Accessibility Consultant at any time. Accessibility Consultant's work with students to identify and overcome disability related barriers in order to ensure that students can fully participate in all aspects of university life. Requests for accommodations should be made directly to a students Accessibility Consultant. The Accessibility Consultant will evaluate the appropriateness of the accommodation request based upon the current impact of the student's disability. This is often a collaborative process that involves the student, faculty, and staff.

The Accessibility Consultant may also provide academic and personal support to the student, while encouraging and promoting independence. The Accessibility Consultant does not function as a student's academic advisor or therapist, but can provide general counseling, vocational guidance, referral, and advocacy. While the Accessibility Consultant may recommend classes or give general scheduling advice, they are not academic advisors. Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor each semester prior to registration. Students can be best served by working closely with both their Accessibility Consultant and academic advisor.

The DRC does not provide psychological services; however, DRC staff can provide referrals to providers within the community. The Counseling Center, the USU Psychology Department Community Clinic, the Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic, and Bear River Mental Health will provide personal and family therapy. With a written release of information, the DRC may consult with mental health providers to determine the type of services that will be most helpful to the student.